Re homing a bolivian ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering if I should temporarily re home one of my BR's until Tuesday. While watching my fish, my BR's have been getting along perfectly fine, sometimes they go from swimming together to staying on opposite sides of the tank but they have never bothered each other. Earlier today I noticed them jaw locking momentarily, but only once that I saw. But a little while ago I thought they were jaw locking again but realized this time they full out attacked each other. I could tell one of them went for the side of the other.. Maybe around the gill area. That's the first issue I've had with them. I posted pictures of them in the breeding section and someone said they thought both of them to be both males because their dorsal fin was very pointed and had the extended 3 & 4 ray. They are in a 30g community. They aren't bothering any other fish at all, I've had them both since Friday and haven't had any issues with them until now. Advice?

Edited:
By re homing I mean putting one in a 10g until Tuesday, and The reason I say Tuesday is because my LFS doesn't open until then.

Since they are new it could be an issue of territory but with males a smaller tank can just be too small especially if you just happened to get aggressive ones. If it continues you'll have to seperate them. I have 4 pairs in a 220 and I still have chasing but nothing serious.

Rivercats said:
Since they are new it could be an issue of territory but with males a smaller tank can just be too small especially if you just happened to get aggressive ones. If it continues you'll have to seperate them. I have 4 pairs in a 220 and I still have chasing but nothing serious.

Eventually they will all go in my 55g, I'm just waiting to get the stand/table for it so I can get it up and running. How many would you say I could get away with in a 30g? I also have a spare 30g I can put some in until my 55 is up and going, the goal for me is to buy multiple rams so I get a pair to breed.

For me I'd only do 2 in a 30g and 4 in a 55g which may or may not work. Rams are like angels and some do fine with a smaller territory and another pair in the tank and then you have the ones that won't share a tank at all and you'll have nothing but aweful aggression from them with another pair. If you want them to breed IMO you should only do a pair a tank so they aren't stressed from having to deal with other Rams. Also if you get some Indian Almond Leaves and lay one or two on the substrate Rams often times will spawn on them. They spawn in leaf litter in the wild and doing this can stimulate them to spawn sometimes.

Rivercats said:
For me I'd only do 2 in a 30g and 4 in a 55g which may or may not work. Rams are like angels and some do fine with a smaller territory and another pair in the tank and then you have the ones that won't share a tank at all and you'll have nothing but aweful aggression from them with another pair. If you want them to breed IMO you should only do a pair a tank so they aren't stressed from having to deal with other Rams. Also if you get some Indian Almond Leaves and lay one or two on the substrate Rams often times will spawn on them. They spawn in leaf litter in the wild and doing this can stimulate them to spawn sometimes.

Thank you for your advice, I do have a spare 30g I can set up for additional rams. I only have 2 in my 30 now.

Back
Top Bottom