Reading the API test kit results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all...

Aquarium n00b here. We've been cycling our new 27 gal cube tank for almost six weeks now (although it seems more like a year) and I have some concerns about how well I'm reading the API test results. Primarily, I have trouble with the Nitrite test. I have found that anything above 1 ppm looks basically the same to me. Once we pass the light blue-lavender phase, I honestly don't see the difference between the various shades of dark purpley-pink. I understand that this won't matter much once we have the tank cycled and full of fish, since anything in that realm is a matter for concern. But right now, as I do these daily readings and hope that something will start to happen to bring the darn nitrites DOWN, I'm feeling a bit discouraged.

Also, I notice that my test results vary a lot within just a minute or two of the time I'm *supposed* to read them. So, at the five-minute mark, the test looks (sorta) like it's at 2 ppm but then, two minutes later it's more like 0.5. What's that all about? Is the test SO sensitive that two or three minutes can make such an enormous difference? I have actually had situations where I got distracted in the middle of timing a nitrite test and missed the five-minute mark by a minute or two. So, are those results totally inaccurate?

Anyway. I'm off to test my water again. I will post my results in a separate thread because I suspect our cycle has stalled and I'd love some advice. But, for now, I'd just like to know whether I'm even doing this right. Sheesh. I got an A in calc-based Chemistry in college. You wouldn't think this would be so difficult.... :facepalm:

I stoped using api a long time ago I found that they weren't very accurate. Try salifert or red sea pro their more money but I think their worth it.

It's possible your nitrites are so far off-chart that the test can't read it. When the tube starts changing funky colors quickly that could be a sign. Do the drops turn purple as soon as you put them into the tube? How long have you had nitrites? You could try doing a full water change, test nitrites again. Keep going until you can read them on the chart (<2 is ideal). Prolonged high nitrites can stall the cycle as well.

Back
Top Bottom