Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Reading water hardness sample

First time aquarium owner here, and I just finished testing my tap water after leaving it out in a glass for about a day. The test went smoothly, but I have a question about reading my water's hardness level

So when I do the hardness test, i'm supposed to count the number of drops it takes to turn the water from red to green. I put in the first drop, and it made the water a faint red, second drop made it fairly clear, then every subsequent drop made it greener and greener until I stopped at 8 drops

How am I supposed to know when it's the right shade of green? Am I supposed to stop when it turns slightly green like it did at 3 drops, or keep counting until the water's a darker green? They don't seem to be quite clear in the instructions. The kit I used is the Tetra test Laborette

Thanks!

P.S. The other test results if anyone is interested (pH: 7.5 Ammonia : 0.25mg/l, Nitrites: <0.3mg/l

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Most titration test kits if they are decent will have a very noticeable change from one color to another, but they are all a bit subjective. In this case, I would read the test when the change first occurs, from red/clear to no red & slight green.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the help fort! I'll call the test result a 3.0 and go from there

Tags
hardness, water, water hardness

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com