Ready At Last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so i've got my 5.5 gallon all cleaned out and ready to start fresh!

I purchased new substrate and a new All-Glass Aquarium single tube strip light. (I was using a desk lamp for light, but I want to make this a planted tank so i upgraded to a real aquarium light :)) The light is a 16" reflector with a 15" 14w Hg bulb in it.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I plan on transferring a couple plants from my 20 gallon to get the cycling started...sound ok?

2) If i put a couple of plants in from my 20 gallon now, is ok to wait until next week (tuesday is pay day) to add a bunch more plants or should i add a couple at a time?

3) How soon after plant addition would you recommend is ok for me to put my Betta in? (keeping in mind because I plan on a heavily planted tank I'm taking the advice of others on this forum and not using a filter :))

4) With that bulb in a 5.5 gallon, what kinds of plants should i stick with? Low light? or can i go up to moderate light? (I realize not high light) I'm new to planted tanks, my 20 gallon is going pretty well, but they're all low light plants and I was wondering if i can step it up a little or not?

Thanks in advance! And if i think of other questions, I'll throw add them!!! :-D

Moving plants to the aquarium will not start the cycle, but you could definately move them right away if you want. It's better to plant heavily from the start instead of slowly introducing new plants. This will also improve your chances of achieving a silent cycle once you add your Betta, where no spikes of Ammonia or Nitrite are seen since the plants consume them. It's probably best to give the plants a week or so to settle in before adding your Betta, as this will allow them to get established.

I would recommend sticking with mostly low light plants, but definately give a few medium light plants a try and see how they do. Unfortunately it's very hard to guess light levels on these small aquariums. If you find that the medium light plants are doing well you can add more.

Will moving plants from the old tank to the new tank cause the beneficial bacteria on them to die? Should I worry about this?

You may lose some beneficial bacteria, but if you plant heavily enough the plant should be able to handle the bioload of a Betta on their own.

Sounds good! And I should plant heavily, give them a week or so to settle in and then add the betta you think?

Oh another quick question, when I do add the betta, should I add some of his "tank" water with him? or no?

That's correct.

I'd probably acclimitize the Betta the same way I would a new fish. Unless the aquarium parameters are nearly identicle, in which case I'd just scoop him into the new aquarium. In either case minimal to no water would be added from the old aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom