Ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah...That's a pretty "positive" :ermm: result.

If it's not toxic and just alters PH, is there anyway to buffer that with substrate that lowers PH? I know peat lowers PH, but I'm not sure of other effects and how long it lasts. Plus I'm wondering how long that background will alter PH...

Maybe keep the background submersed and keep changing out water. Keep retesting and see if PH drops...Maybe it will only alter the PH for a short period of time :confused:

EDIT:

I forgot background is in there now with fish....

Last edited:
The ph will still stay over 8 with the sand and crushed coral, there's no need to lower ph it's for lake tang cichlids, they like ph closer to 9.

I agree that assuming the background is not introducing toxins, and you have the sand and CC in there to hold pH steady...I don't see any issue. I guess we'll see shortly with your new fish. I assume pics are somewhere nearby? :)

I agree that assuming the background is not introducing toxins, and you have the sand and CC in there to hold pH steady...I don't see any issue. I guess we'll see shortly with your new fish. I assume pics are somewhere nearby? :)

*grumble grumble grumble* Pics incoming.

Just got done with a PWC don't mind the micro bubbles, fast little suckers too.

Attachments

• image-3386634196.jpg
    image-3386634196.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-138849180.jpg
    image-138849180.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3807521715.jpg
    image-3807521715.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2607689912.jpg
    image-2607689912.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 73
another possibility is that there was some sort of residual toxin in the water, could've come from anything, removed/diluted via PWC's. Just an idea, glad they are doing well so far.

Yea its hard to tell Jeta, they are doing well I will keep a close eye on them. (y)

PH in the tank is still stable. The Kenyis are still alive and kicking. They have started to free swim more, eat and do what Kenyis do best chase each other around. :happy dance:

jennagsimpson said:
Whewww glad to hear about the survivals ! Goodluck , can't wait to see your completed tank :)

Now I will just leave the Kenyis in there for a couple of weeks then get the long term residents after I insure everything is going well. I also plan to put some plant life in there most likely floating to help keep everything with in the proper levels.

Now I will just leave the Kenyis in there for a couple of weeks then get the long term residents after I insure everything is going well. I also plan to put some plant life in there most likely floating to help keep everything with in the proper levels.

Sounds like a win. A few plants and water changes you won't have to worry about cycling. Sounds like you'll keep an eye on the levels though which will be good. Glad this seems to have cleared up and your hard work on that background wasn't for naught.

roundar said:
Sounds like a win. A few plants and water changes you won't have to worry about cycling. Sounds like you'll keep an eye on the levels though which will be good. Glad this seems to have cleared up and your hard work on that background wasn't for naught.

Yes I am glad it was not naught as well, one of the guys in my club is going to give me a whole bunch of MTS, ramshorn and lots of fast-growing plants that will suck up all the extra nutrients.

So I left my water experiment running to see if there would be any shifts in ph and I stumbled upon this while checking the water for the the piece of "rock" that was made just like the background. Ph is about 8.3-8.4 but the 2.0-3.0 ppm of ammo was a shock.

Attachments

• image-1569332992.jpg
    image-1569332992.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 85
That's wild, seems like it would clear up over time...

Everything in the tank seems to have started to stabilize these are my readings this morning.

Ammo: 0 ppm
'Trite: .25 ppm
'Trate: 20ppm

I am sort of concerned about the 'trite level as I have never seen it that high before. I am attributing it to the introduction of the fish/ dying plant matter. I may need some fast growing stem plants.

Attachments

• image-1892152801.jpg
    image-1892152801.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom