really basic sponge filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, just bought a simple sponge filter (Aquarium Technology, Inc's "Hydro-Sponge I).

I followed the directions on the back for set-up, essentially not more than attaching an airline to the proper place on the top of the filter (down through the tube). There is no mention of an airstone anywhere.

Yet on the side of the box, it says, "can be used with an airstone or powerhead. Attach airstone to bottom..." etc.

Does this thing require an airstone in order to pull a proper suction to filter? Or is this essentially saying I can add an airstone to the bottom if I want, for aesthetic or oxygenation issues (smaller bubbles)?

I have very small sponge filters for my betta tanks. These sponges don't require an airstone. I have seen other sponges that say an airstone can be used with them, like the one you have.

I think you can use the sponge with or without the airstone. The airpump and airline should provide enough flow for the proper aeration of the media and bacteria. If you want more or stronger aeration, then you can use the airstone also. Here's a link I found:

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Air_Accessories/airstoneair_accessories.html

The print is tiny but it says that for more or stronger aeration, or for a larger tank, use an airstone.

Hmm well better safe than sorry, I'll pick up an airstone on Monday.

No, those filters do NOT need an airstone to run properly. I've used 'em for years (still do) and have never used airstones nor had a problem because of it.

Great filters, by the way. I've got a couple that are almost ten years old now and still work like a charm.:)

Hmmm... Good question. I have a Hydro-Sponge III, and I am not using an airstone. I would think that the only thing and airstone would do would be to slow down the air, and therefore, water, flow (while making the bubbles look better.)

Why don't you drain your tank to just above the top of the lift tube and see which causes more water to spill out the top? This would be valuable information.

The directions that came with the thing said it can be used without an airstone, but did not say which one had better flow.

SirWired

hi,

I have inbuilt side drops on my tank that works on the same prinicpal as the Hyrdo-Sponge filters you mentioned.
I have found that having an airstone in them actually increases output. why, I don't know but it has almost tripled the flow.

Matt

Running with no airstone will have single large bubbles rising, where an airstone creates tons of smaller bubbles, all rising at the same time, thus you have more flow. The single bubble doesn't fill the tube, as the airstone bubbles fill up the tube, creating a larger rising surface area.

What size airstone should I use? I have a couple of standard cheap-o 1", but I can get a larger size if necessary.

SirWired

Running with no airstone will have single large bubbles rising, where an airstone creates tons of smaller bubbles, all rising at the same time, thus you have more flow. The single bubble doesn't fill the tube, as the airstone bubbles fill up the tube, creating a larger rising surface area.

Now I know...thanks for that :)

hehe, I run 4 x 1" ones :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom