REALLY cloudy water during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurelhed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm cycling my 20 gallon tank which has been up and running for a while, but I am finally cycling it properly (no fish). I added ammonia up to 4ppm, nitrIte was 5.0ppm, nitrAte at .5ppm. Today it is cloudy as heck and getting cloudier! Ammonia was down to 1ppm, so I dosed back up to 4ppm like I read you're supposed to do. My tank is currently at 84 degrees and gets bright indirect light through a window with opaque film on it. No major algae problem. Hardly see any at all, so light doesn't seem to be an issue right now. I'm guessing I've got a bacterial bloom? Could it be something else? Should I do a water change or try to stop it? Or is this part of cycling?

Is it a milky white? If so, it's normal. Most cycling tanks get this bloom (mine never did though), it'll clear up on its own.

Do you have new substrate added to the tank? This can add a lot of cloudiness too.

Mine has just started getting cloudy as well. I had added some aragonite, to help stabilize the pH..but that was about a week ago. Mine's a 20 gal. as well.

If you can, post a photo.

Yes, milky white. I guess it's just a bacterial bloom. I read the article from the link Mumma of Two sent, and it explained it very well. I'll just sit tight and wait for it to settle down.
Thank you all!

All Right!!! Tank is fully cycled! Hooray! Now, can I add fish with this bacterial bloom going on?

How long have you been cycling with ammonia? Did the nitrite rise and fall? Is ammonia falling to 0 after 24 hours? It seems like it happened fast so I was just wondering although maybe you've been cycling longer than you implied in the post. How high are your nitrate?

You could do a 100% water change with dechlorinator and keep dosing ammonia for a few days. That might help with the cloudiness too. If ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 and the tank stays clear then do another large water change, drop the heater down, and get some fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom