Really want a betta!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maestromad said:
Would you guys recommend adding the betta after the tetras? Or would they e ok at the same time?? I've also read about rasberosas being ok with them - any thoughts?
I wa thinking of setting the tank up with the tank mates whilst I search for the perfect betta! :)

I saw some pristella tetras at the store yesterday. They were so pretty! I looked them up online and it said they are hardy, peaceful fish.

I have an Aqua 320 which is home to 7 pygmy cories, i would like to have a Betta, but i am not sure if this is a good combination. They are a bit scatty and quick but mainly around the bottom of the tank, occasionally scooting to the top. would this freak a Betta out do you think??

absolutangel04 said:
most any small, peaceful schooler shold be fine with a community-safe betta. Rasboras like harlequins or espeis shoudl be fine. I suggest schoolers first, betta last.
I think it would be fine at the same time too.

Thanks yr being a fab help! I'll prob start cycling the tank with the rasboras until I find my betta!
I'm pleased as I was looking at them yesterday in the LFS and thought how nice they were.

One more question! :hide I'm trying to work out where to put the tank, are bettas bothered by movement outside te tank? I'm just concerned if it would be startled by people using the kinect in front of him! Lol

I have my tank on an end table. The kids are always running by and we are always moving and reaching for channel changers. King Neptune pays no mind to it all. So, I think it may startle him at first but he will get accustomed to it. After all, you want your beautiful betta out where people are going to see him!

Thanks! I have a coffee table next to th sofa which would be a lovely place to hve the second tank. I'm so excited now! Lol

Ok so I have about a 12gal (us) rectangular tank. How many rasboras would I be able to have in here with a betta??

When I approach my tank my fish, betta included all rush to the glass wherever they are in the tank... By the time I'm there they're all targeting my finger...
When my betta was in her 1g container (before her magnificent upgrade) she would watch me and turn her head to watch me walk by... I swear she'd tip her head like the dogs do! She did it from day one... I fell for her then.. I knew she had good personality when we followed my finger in her tiny little cup.,

Ok so I have about a 12gal (us) rectangular tank. How many rasboras would I be able to have in here with a betta??
In a 12g, I suggest you stock to nano fish like ember tetras. That might be a bit cramped for harlequins or similar rasboras which can reach 2 inches.
What is the footprint of the tank?

It's 23.5 inch long 12.5 inch high and 12 inch deep. Maybe I've worked the gallons out wrong! I'm not the best with volumes! Lol

Ok my tank is actually 15.71 us gallons! I'm not good at converting things doh! So maybe I could have a full school?
The only sticking point at the moment is finding a reasonable priced stand/table for the tank...I wish I was rich! :(

Well, thats better. :) With nearly 24 inches of horizontal swimming space, that does open up your options a bit.
Yes, you should have space for a full school of something small (like 2 inches or less). Any specific fish in mind?

Here's a pic of my son's 5 Gal Hexagon Betta tank. He has 5 black neon tetras in there and lots of floating plants. His "Jeff Dunham" looks happy to me.

Attachments

• image-3277832775.jpg
    image-3277832775.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 83
Thanks! Absolutangel I still really fancy rasboras I've read on the betta fish site they are ok with them and I think they are much nicer than tetras.
I've also been contemplating plants I was think water sprite as a floater and some crypts and some limbophilia sessiliflora to have som colour I was thinking of red silk plants as my lighting wit support the red leaves.
Although I have gravel I have plenty of sand here so will prob go with black sand and maybe a blue or black background - what do you think?
I will hunt down a stand for it today as I want my betta!! Lol

Ok so I've found a stand AND bought a betta! He's beig kept in the LFS until the tank is ready, he currently in with chilli rasboras as my LFS doesn't keep them in cups.
I now have te mammoth task of sorting the space for the tank and te tank out! I'm goin to move some of my wisteria into the new tank for the time being until I can get the plants I want.
I may buy the cuilli's in the tank with him so he feels more at home lol!

Ok so I am an idiot and ha to buy all new filter media as I'd thrown the others away. I'm going to use a lot of the bio rings from my current tank to help jump the filter, also rinse the current older pads with the new ones, I can't put a current one in as they are different sizes. Plus with using the water from my current tank when I pwc later and some filter start hopefully I won't have huge cycling issues.
Due to stupid work commitments I probably won't be able to get my boy till Monday morning now - the same time as his tankmates. Does anyone have any input on how long I could keep the betta in his bag? I would prefer to acclimate the other fish first and then let him loose.
Also any input on khuli loaches in this size tank or maybe clown loaches?? Thanks for the help guys :D

A fish should be ok bagged for even a day or more. Thats how they are shipped after all. With a betta you should open the top of the bag so he can get air and he would be ok for a day IMO. If you have him floating while the chilis are acclimating, leave the lights off so he doesn't freak out.
Honestly though, I don't think it would be an issue to let them into the tank at the same time. The reason for putting a betta in last is because of territorial issues, but if they all go in together, that won't be an issue. Also, since they all came from the same tank, they should be fine together in a new tank. Up to you though.

absolutangel04 said:
A fish should be ok bagged for even a day or more. Thats how they are shipped after all. With a betta you should open the top of the bag so he can get air and he would be ok for a day IMO. If you have him floating while the chilis are acclimating, leave the lights off so he doesn't freak out.
Honestly though, I don't think it would be an issue to let them into the tank at the same time. The reason for putting a betta in last is because of territorial issues, but if they all go in together, that won't be an issue. Also, since they all came from the same tank, they should be fine together in a new tank. Up to you though.

I was at a LFS the other day as they were unpacking their new shipment of fish and the guy was just tossing the bags into the tanks with a big splash... It made me crazy! So yes, a Betta floating quietly in a bag of water with food and fresh air will probably be just fine- in comparison. Considering what these fish go through before they ever get home to you!

Here he is!!! Now I just need a name! Will put better pics up once he's released

Back
Top Bottom