Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok my tank is actually 15.71 us gallons! I'm not good at converting things doh! So maybe I could have a full school?
The only sticking point at the moment is finding a reasonable priced stand/table for the tank...I wish I was rich!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, thats better. With nearly 24 inches of horizontal swimming space, that does open up your options a bit.
Yes, you should have space for a full school of something small (like 2 inches or less). Any specific fish in mind?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a pic of my son's 5 Gal Hexagon Betta tank. He has 5 black neon tetras in there and lots of floating plants. His "Jeff Dunham" looks happy to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3277832775.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	80067  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! Absolutangel I still really fancy rasboras I've read on the betta fish site they are ok with them and I think they are much nicer than tetras.
I've also been contemplating plants I was think water sprite as a floater and some crypts and some limbophilia sessiliflora to have som colour I was thinking of red silk plants as my lighting wit support the red leaves.
Although I have gravel I have plenty of sand here so will prob go with black sand and maybe a blue or black background - what do you think?
I will hunt down a stand for it today as I want my betta!! Lol
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I've found a stand AND bought a betta! He's beig kept in the LFS until the tank is ready, he currently in with chilli rasboras as my LFS doesn't keep them in cups.
I now have te mammoth task of sorting the space for the tank and te tank out! I'm goin to move some of my wisteria into the new tank for the time being until I can get the plants I want.
I may buy the cuilli's in the tank with him so he feels more at home lol!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I am an idiot and ha to buy all new filter media as I'd thrown the others away. I'm going to use a lot of the bio rings from my current tank to help jump the filter, also rinse the current older pads with the new ones, I can't put a current one in as they are different sizes. Plus with using the water from my current tank when I pwc later and some filter start hopefully I won't have huge cycling issues.
Due to stupid work commitments I probably won't be able to get my boy till Monday morning now - the same time as his tankmates. Does anyone have any input on how long I could keep the betta in his bag? I would prefer to acclimate the other fish first and then let him loose.
Also any input on khuli loaches in this size tank or maybe clown loaches?? Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

A fish should be ok bagged for even a day or more. Thats how they are shipped after all. With a betta you should open the top of the bag so he can get air and he would be ok for a day IMO. If you have him floating while the chilis are acclimating, leave the lights off so he doesn't freak out.
Honestly though, I don't think it would be an issue to let them into the tank at the same time. The reason for putting a betta in last is because of territorial issues, but if they all go in together, that won't be an issue. Also, since they all came from the same tank, they should be fine together in a new tank. Up to you though.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
A fish should be ok bagged for even a day or more. Thats how they are shipped after all. With a betta you should open the top of the bag so he can get air and he would be ok for a day IMO. If you have him floating while the chilis are acclimating, leave the lights off so he doesn't freak out.
Honestly though, I don't think it would be an issue to let them into the tank at the same time. The reason for putting a betta in last is because of territorial issues, but if they all go in together, that won't be an issue. Also, since they all came from the same tank, they should be fine together in a new tank. Up to you though.
I was at a LFS the other day as they were unpacking their new shipment of fish and the guy was just tossing the bags into the tanks with a big splash... It made me crazy! So yes, a Betta floating quietly in a bag of water with food and fresh air will probably be just fine- in comparison. Considering what these fish go through before they ever get home to you!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here he is!!! Now I just need a name! Will put better pics up once he's released
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestromad
Here he is!!! Now I just need a name! Will put better pics up once he's released
Samurai Sam.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com