Really want a betta!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so ihave caught the aquarium bug big time and after seeing everyone's beautiful bettas I have decided I would really like one.
I have a spare tank (will have to measure it to find what size it is) and would like some advice.

1. Is a fish less cycle ok with bettas? I was thinking of using the water from my established tank to kick start it a bit

2. What's the best substrate / decor / plants for them

3. Do they need tank mates? I think maybe some tetras would be nice is this doable?

4. Any other advice??

Thanks guys :D

1- You can do either a fish-less or a fish-in cycle. Just make sure what ever you do, you clean the water often enough and you monitor your parameters frequently. Obviously, fish-less is ideal, but doing a fish in cycle is not the end of the world.

2- Substrate doesn't matter so much, but avoid any decorations or plants that have sharp edges. The Betta's long fins have been known to get snagged on sharp edges and tear.

3- They do NOT require tank mates, and some Betta's are better off without any. If you do have tank mates with your Betta, I would probably recommend at least a 10 gallon aquarium. Panda corys, cardinal/neon tetra, blood-fin tetra, glow-light tetra, and short finned zebra danios *can* be kept with Bettas, but as I said.. it depends on the Betta. Some people don't suggest keeping fast moving, schooling fish with Bettas as it stressed them out.

4- When picking out your betta, make sure it has good color, has no spots, bumps, or tears in its fins, and over all looks healthy with good color that is active. Some people like to buy the sick looking fish to try to cure it, but that usually just sets you up for failure, IMO. Many times, when a fish starts acting very obviously sick and has been so for days in such a cramped environment as they are kept in stores, they are too far gone and its hard to get them to come around.

Otherwise... I would keep your betta in at the VERY least, a 2.5 gallon heated/filtered tank. A 5 gallon would be even better.

Anyways... Good luck! Post pictures if and when you decide to get one!!!

Thanks for that! The tank is about a 20 (us) gal. I'll prob use the substrate that's in there from last time (after a good wash) And maybe a plant

I was thinking about getting the fish online - but may try looking around first I would like a multi coloured one but will only get the right one! No impulse buys lol.

I'd like to have some tank mates for him but will bear in mind they are tempremental fish! I just need work out where I'm going to keep the tank!

1- You can do either a fish-less or a fish-in cycle. Just make sure what ever you do, you clean the water often enough and you monitor your parameters frequently. Obviously, fish-less is ideal, but doing a fish in cycle is not the end of the world.

2- Substrate doesn't matter so much, but avoid any decorations or plants that have sharp edges. The Betta's long fins have been known to get snagged on sharp edges and tear.

3- They do NOT require tank mates, and some Betta's are better off without any. If you do have tank mates with your Betta, I would probably recommend at least a 10 gallon aquarium. Panda corys, cardinal/neon tetra, blood-fin tetra, glow-light tetra, and short finned zebra danios *can* be kept with Bettas, but as I said.. it depends on the Betta. Some people don't suggest keeping fast moving, schooling fish with Bettas as it stressed them out.

4- When picking out your betta, make sure it has good color, has no spots, bumps, or tears in its fins, and over all looks healthy with good color that is active. Some people like to buy the sick looking fish to try to cure it, but that usually just sets you up for failure, IMO. Many times, when a fish starts acting very obviously sick and has been so for days in such a cramped environment as they are kept in stores, they are too far gone and its hard to get them to come around.

Otherwise... I would keep your betta in at the VERY least, a 2.5 gallon heated/filtered tank. A 5 gallon would be even better.

Anyways... Good luck! Post pictures if and when you decide to get one!!!
+1. A 5 gallon+ is great for a betta.

Yes to all of the above-- don't succumb to the "oh, that one looks sick, I'll take that one home and heal him" syndrome... At least not for your first Betta! (they tend to be like potato chips, you can't have just one... Lol)

In a 20g you can definitely have tank mates if you choose them well. Just remember to have lots of plants - floating ones if possible so they can float in safety at the top of the tank if they want.

Also, in a 20 g watch the flow on the filter. Male bettas in particular can't handle a strong filter current. The shorter finned plakats are a little burlier in my experience but any of the long finned ones just get blown around too easily. There are ways to dampen the flow, or to create a space for the betta that is out of the way of the current.

A happy Betta is a beautiful thing!

if you have a 20 gallon I would definitely add some tank mates in there. just give everyone some hiding spots...

Just from my personal experience with my beta, I'd be careful if you ever put a betta fish with Neon tetras... my female betta decided to take a bite out of one and scared the other ones to death.. and this is in a 15 gallon with just them and the betta.

dotswithchemicals said:
Just from my personal experience with my beta, I'd be careful if you ever put a betta fish with Neon tetras... my female betta decided to take a bite out of one and scared the other ones to death.. and this is in a 15 gallon with just them and the betta.

I personally think this is part of the fun of bettas - it's always a challenge! I have had all my bettas do just fine with neons... Except one female who went bezerker one day and had to be put in time out. Turns out she just was having a fit of spawning hormones and is now housed with male fancy guppies and doesn't bother them. Just glares at them like "what's with all the wiggling!?! Simmer down already!". Just keep an eye on the tank at all times to be able to respond quickly if relations turn sour.

If you have another tank you can pull some media from it to help cycle the larger one. You could get a 5 gal tank for the Betta alone and keep the 20 gal for a community setup. I haven't tried a Betta in a community tank, it can be hit and miss so have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

I bought my first betta on Saturday with his/her own 5 gal Chi tank (haven't been able to sex it for sure yet lol), added media from my larger tank and it's instantly cycled. He/she seems happy. They are fun fish, mine already follows my finger around the tank. :)

Attachments

• DSC00382.JPG
    DSC00382.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00348.JPG
    DSC00348.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 81
I totally agree with the things that have been said.
If you want to do a community with the betta as the centerpiece, make sure you have a back-up plan in case it doesn't work because not all bettas make good community dwellers. IME, all of mine have been and I tend to think the majority do fine with well-selected tankmates, but this is certainly not a given.
I definitely suggest ordering a betta online. You can ask about how they house bettas and then you have the choice to not get one in a cup if you choose.
BTW, there are way more bettas out there than just betta splendens. Here is a list of some other betta varieties. Betta Species

librarygirl said:
If you have another tank you can pull some media from it to help cycle the larger one. You could get a 5 gal tank for the Betta alone and keep the 20 gal for a community setup. I haven't tried a Betta in a community tank, it can be hit and miss so have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

I bought my first betta on Saturday with his/her own 5 gal Chi tank (haven't been able to sex it for sure yet lol), added media from my larger tank and it's instantly cycled. He/she seems happy. They are fun fish, mine already follows my finger around the tank. :)

That's a male crown tail

Thanks for the link absolutangel! I'm waiting on a response from a seller ATM. My back up plan would be if I have tetras they could go in my 110l with my guppies.

I want to put the betta in te 20gal as I can't afford a separate tank for it and fingers crossed the betta I pick will LOVE other fish lol

maestromad said:
Thanks for the link absolutangel! I'm waiting on a response from a seller ATM. My back up plan would be if I have tetras they could go in my 110l with my guppies.

I want to put the betta in te 20gal as I can't afford a separate tank for it and fingers crossed the betta I pick will LOVE other fish lol

My female betta, Lucy wasn't fond of my mollies at first and I didn't give it enough time first go round... Second time I gave it days since she wasn't being too detrimental.. Just chasing an swimming away... She's mostly stopped completely now... Although, funny thing is, my alpha Molly, Cruella, she's NEVER crossed... Cruella gave her a sideways look once and Lucy got in line...

Betta's are fun! I've got mine in a 5gallon fluval chi. I love watching him swim around. I'm doing a fish-in cycle and it's going well. I test the water at least once a day and usually do a 50% water change daily right now. I have sand and pebbles as substrate, a few live plants and some deiftwood. Here's a pic of mine! (the second picture is him before I moved him to the 5 gallon)

Would you guys recommend adding the betta after the tetras? Or would they e ok at the same time?? I've also read about rasberosas being ok with them - any thoughts?
I wa thinking of setting the tank up with the tank mates whilst I search for the perfect betta! :)

most any small, peaceful schooler shold be fine with a community-safe betta. Rasboras like harlequins or espeis shoudl be fine. I suggest schoolers first, betta last.
I think it would be fine at the same time too.

Back
Top Bottom