Reasonable stock list for a newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumTurk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya, I'm looking at doing a low tech planted 20 gallon long, and I trust yahoos on the internet more than yahoos at petco. I'm going to set it up with plants (probably java fern, danio ball, some sort of crypt) and let that cycle for a good long while before any fish go in. I'm just afraid that I'm going to overstock, and have a worry about temperature as well.

Currently looking at a solo german blue ram, 2 cory catfish, 2 nerite snails, 6 harlequin rasbora, and a few cherry shrimp. Is this overdoing it, and will the german blue ram be ok at 78 degrees? If the ram WONT be ok, any suggestions of a different centerpiece fish that will get along ok with those tank mates?

A pair of dwarf cichlids would be better than just one... rams do best 80+ degrees, appistos would be a better option at 78 degrees.

bump that cory number up to 6, bump that rasbora count to 10-12.

Cherry shrimp will get eaten, or hide indefinitely. Amano shrimp would be a better option.

A single dwarf gourami or a pair of honey gouramis could work. I've had success keeping a female betta with other fish in a 20 gallon tank.
Is your tank long or tall (standard)? /i agree tha cory cats need to be kept in a group of at least 6, if you are worried about overstocking you should look into pygmy corydoras. They only get around 1" and are super cute.

The bigger the shrimp in this case the better if you arent going heavy on the plants. 2 bamboo shrimp would pair great in the tank.

I agree with the rams and corys ZxC says. However, I (personally) think 6 rasboras are fine, esp to start with. They do get a decent size however so 12 full grown might put the tank at stress. You could do 12 rasboras in the micro sizes such as chili rasboras.

In either case you can do either. You may just have to keep up with maintenance a bit more if you have more fish. Beware that cichlids and apistos can be semi aggressive.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was just totally misunderstanding the corys I guess, thought they were social but not schooling.
So the revised plan looks more like:
Start the planted tank, let it cycle till it's an ammonia eating machine. I'll be putting in a fair amount of veg and some rocks for hidey spots for the shrimp.

Put in 5-6 Shrimp and a couple snails, let them make sure the tank conditions are stable and give the shrimp a head start in size.
If those do well, put in 6-8 rasboras or something similar (schooling, mid tank, peaceful)
Once those seem stable, add 6 corys to join the bottom feeder patroll.
Lastly, if all that seems ok, it seems like other people have had good luck putting in a single young beta, if it grows up in an established larger community tank they seem to grow up less aggressive.

Does anyone have bad feelings about the petco buck a gallon tanks? The price is darn tempting and I'm fine with glass and a normal rim so that I can get widely available lids etc. Still going for a 20 long. Also gotta be able to have a lid so that I can exclude the cats. They can watch but not touch hopefully. Though keeping one of them from the hang on filter is going to be tough, he LOVES running water, but already has his own fountain bowl.

Sounds good. If you can find a betta that was raised in a community tank then that's great. If not the females are less aggressive and are more personable than males. They can be just as colourful as males but with shorter fins.

With the buck a gallon sales, it's the same tanks so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

The tank sales are fine from petco, thats where I bought my QT 10gal tank. Nothing wrong with them.

They dont come with a lid or ANYTHING else, just the bare tank.

Thinking ahead to avoiding the waterfall problem with the cat and noise for my partner, would an EHEIM classic 150 be too much flow for a 20 gal?

You could get a Bolivian Ram pair rather than a German Ram. Bolivians don't need temps in the 80's and would be more compatible with your other fish. Harlequin rasboras school great but need at least 10 to show that off. I agree with Z on the number 12. They're a small fish with a very low bioload. 5-6 Cory cats minimum and is about right for your sized tank. I seriously doubt any shrimp will survive in a cichlid tank or with a Betta. I don't think putting anything besides a snail with a betta is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom