Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
Recommend me good hood

I just read about the Petco $1/gal deal and bought a new 29 gallon tank. I will have it set up shortly i hope but whats a good hood to buy for to setup a nice high-light planted tank?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get a glass top for your tank and then you can pick whatever lighting you want to go on it.

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Unless there are known "Jumpers" in the tank, I prefer to keep mine open. Better gas exchange and you don't have to move anything when you want to fiddle in the tank. You can even put eggcrate on the top instead of glass if you do have jumpers.

I bought a T-5 HO unit off ebay for 50.00 for my 20 long and that same unit should fit the tank you bought.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #4

i am also a glass top advocate. You can easily add lighting if you need to with a glass top.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Stretch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I bought a T-5 HO unit off ebay for 50.00 for my 20 long and that same unit should fit the tank you bought.
Can you provide a link to an auction like yours, or some more details? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

PETCO-$1 PER GAL SALE

i too heard about the sale. went there last thurs. picked up an oceanic brand 30 gal hex. it was origanlly $219.99. however they charged me the tax on this amount, so i paid $45. came with the hinged glass top and a 14 watt strip light. the stand was $169, so i passed on it. i heard of people using an end table made with wrought iron and a faux stone top for a stand. anyone have any thoughts on this? also thinking about using an emperor 280 for this setup.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get you a glass hood and then grab you one of these and one of these and you will be very happy. It will give you almost high light plus the benefit of built in moonlighting. The only downside is it only comes in black, so if your tank trim is wood colored, I don't know how well it will look. Also, I mentioned getting a bulb. The bulb it comes with will give you approximately medium low light if you want to use that.

EDIT: Also if you call instead of ordering online and you get a refurbished item, then they will swap the bulbs for $5 instead of buying a $20 bulb.

Tags
hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com