Recommendations for centrepiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I no the Internet says GBR needs higher temps but that is not true the warmer bring ou the colour in them and puts them into breeding my temp is 76-78 and they do fine

redfisher1139 said:

That's my ideal choice...but I don't think it's gonna work out. I've got everything so perfectly balanced that I don't want to take risks. If nothing else, I know they have different temp requirements. My wife will probably end up talking me into a German Blue though.

Hobgob said:
I no the Internet says GBR needs higher temps but that is not true the warmer bring ou the colour in them and puts them into breeding my temp is 76-78 and they do fine

Hmmm... I'll research a bit more. Are they okay solo?

That's my ideal choice...but I don't think it's gonna work out. I've got everything so perfectly balanced that I don't want to take risks. If nothing else, I know they have different temp requirements. My wife will probably end up talking me into a German Blue though.

Go with Bolivians. They may not look as good a GBR's initially, but they color up more as they age and they don't have the super strict parameters that GBR's do.

redfisher1139 said:
Go with Bolivians. They may not look as good a GBR's initially, but they color up more as they age and they don't have the super strict parameters that GBR's do.

Same thing, are they okay solo or do they need to be paired up?

eco23 said:
Hmmm... I'll research a bit more. Are they okay solo?

I wanted a pair but stumble acrossed to males they really aren't around eachother. Almost like they'd rather be by themselves then with another male.

redfisher1139 said:

GBR are not sensitive to water ppl lie I just did water change and my ph was like 7.5. They went though some nitrite levels pretty high up and they survived completely fine. I was expecting death from what I have read about them but nope they seemed completely fine

I can also vouch for the fact that GBRs do just fine in cooler water. I have mine at 77F and they are doing just great. The bigger things to consider with GBRs:

1. Water quality. They like their Nitrates to be almost non-existent, which is why they thrive in a planted tank.

2. Pairing. If you have any doubt about the gender of the fish you're buying - don't buy more than one. It is very hard to tell young GBRs apart, and if you inadvertently get two males or two females, the aggression can be more stressful than any bad water parameter.

I absolutely love the GBR. My tank is fully cycled, nitrAtes around 5, pH around 7.5 (maybe a tad high for them), I run CC because I have crazy soft water, temp set at 75 right now, and all peaceful community fish.

I'm just not one of those "I'll give it a try" people. I want to make sure the fish I add will be happy and healthy.

Vircomore said:
I can also vouch for the fact that GBRs do just fine in cooler water. I have mine at 77F and they are doing just great. The bigger things to consider with GBRs:

1. Water quality. They like their Nitrates to be almost non-existent, which is why they thrive in a planted tank.

2. Pairing. If you have any doubt about the gender of the fish you're buying - don't buy more than one. It is very hard to tell young GBRs apart, and if you inadvertently get two males or two females, the aggression can be more stressful than any bad water parameter.

Thanks...you're starting to sway me. What level of the tank do yours hang out in?

eco23 said:
I absolutely love the GBR. My tank is fully cycled, nitrAtes around 5, pH around 7.5 (maybe a tad high for them), I run CC because I have crazy soft water, temp set at 75 right now, and all peaceful community fish.

I'm just not one of those "I'll give it a try" people. I want to make sure the fish I add will be happy and healthy.

My nitrtes were around 5 aswell probably up more then That but yA

Also very pretty, but a little on the small side. I think a dwarf gourami is gonna end up being the winner. It swims at the mid level of the tank, which is important to me, is the size I'm looking for and is super peaceful. I really only want a centerpiece fish that is okay by themselves and is a bit larger than everything else so it stands out.

That's fine. =] Love my dwarf gourami too!

eco23 said:
Also very pretty, but a little on the small side. I think a dwarf gourami is gonna end up being the winner. It swims at the mid level of the tank, which is important to me, is the size I'm looking for and is super peaceful. I really only want a centerpiece fish that is okay by themselves and is a bit larger than everything else so it stands out.

The past thing about them are they is so many t different colour variations you can get a nice center with a gourami

+1 on the color variations. There's at least four that I know of: powder blue, neon red, regular, and flame. I have neon red.

and the powder blue are amazing as well what is your gravel color id do a contrast off your gravel color to really make your center piece fish pop

ryan-peddle said:
and the powder blue are amazing as well what is your gravel color id do a contrast off your gravel color to really make your center piece fish pop

White gravel...well, white and brown right now thanks to the diatom outbreak, lol. I'll probably go with the red variety because the room it's in has a crimson color scheme. Plus a couple of red plants.

I think I'll eventually flip a coin between a ram or dwarf gourami. Or...the wife will inform me of what we're going with, haha.

i know people are crazy over gourami but i just love the gentle nature of the rams in my experience if you go with the gourami i think the red fire gourami would be nice with you plants and gravel but if you go with my favorite the beautiful rams i would do the blue ram totally up to you just a couple of my favorites

if you get the german blue rams tell me how it works out bc i want one but ive seen that they can get stressed easily and that they have to have very low ph and soft water

I will also say someday I want a ram. They are beautiful. I hear they adapt more than we give them credit for.

Back
Top Bottom