Recommendations for centrepiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plan on trying a pair of GBR myself in a community tank. It was recommended that I search out a breeder, as opposed to an lfs, since lfs fish tend to be weaker.

-JT-

Mog said:
Eco,

How about a Cockatoo Cichlid? These were and most likely will be my first choice on a centerpiece... the only problem is the price. If I can find them locally, I will definitely go with them, but shipping them scares me :)

They fit your requirements and tank specs I believe. And you have to admit, a very nice looking fish :)

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Double Full Red Cockatoo Cichlid

Mog

That fish is beautiful and actually looks like a ram. I just get scared when they're listed as semi-aggressive. I want to keep the peace in there.

Rosenweiss said:
+1 on the color variations. There's at least four that I know of: powder blue, neon red, regular, and flame. I have neon red.

I got to powdered blue but the store said neon blue... I want to get a different female and see what would come out if they were to breed

Can a dwarf gouramai fit in a 5 gallon tank?

Cockatoos will be more aggressive during spawning. Mark out their territory. GBR adapt really well my ph was 7.5 and the temp is like 76-78f. They are good to go IMO

MABJ said:
Can a dwarf gouramai fit in a 5 gallon tank?

My sister has 2... But she says she has a good filter and everything. The fish don't look stressed either and they don't cycle their tanks when they put them in... Lucky fish

i just like to give all my fish room to play (swim) you prolly could do a pair but if a fish reaches around 3 inches i like to give him about 5 gallons to himself like its not your filter that would be the problem just swimming room IMHO

True. And how do you tell what a dwarf is? The neon ones?

Ya I couldn't believe what her when she said that and their are four different type of dwarf gouramis that I know of. Ask the people at your lfs. Their is powder/ blue neon, normal, all red, and mostly red with blue head/ dorsal fin. I dont know the names to them sorry.

i mostly find out through research i take a trip to my lfs write down some fish i like go home and research them just to make sure the info and name givin is correct

ryan-peddle said:
i mostly find out through research i take a trip to my lfs write down some fish i like go home and research them just to make sure the info and name givin is correct

Yeah...don't listen to anything the lfs says. I've invented rules for that..
#1- don't listen to the guy at the lfs
#2- remember to not listen to the guy at the lfs
#3- whatever the guy at the lfs says...do the opposite

A dwarf gourami needs a minimum 10 gallon tank. Remember that any substrate or deco displaces the water and actually reduces how much is in there. Also, normal Gouramis (not dwarfs) get fairly large and can be aggressive.

ive gotten home before braggin up my new fish and calling it the wrong thing all along because the name tag on the was labeled for the last fish that was in there lol then you feel really smart

It's the generally accepted minimum size. A fish needs room to hide as well as a swimming area. It could survive in a 5, but it'd be like keeping your dog in the closet.

Remember too, the smaller the aquarium the harder it is to maintain healthy water parameters. You're working with much less beneficial bacteria and any changes, like switching out media, can almost instantly un-cycle your tank.

Off topic real quick mabj...that girl in the other thread is gone, or at least doing the worlds longest pwc.

Yeah I think she's a goner. I hope she comes back though.

Another quick question: it's just a little 2.5 inch fish, it wouldn't be happy in a 5g alone with a few shrimp? There's a big cave some plants and a pipe system for the shrimp

Back
Top Bottom