Recommendations for Sand use in Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katfich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings! I'm new to this forum and have tried to find answers to my exact questions in the threads, so apologies if these questions have been posted already. I currently use gravel in my 80 gallon, freshwater aquarium that hosts several large parrot cichlids, and a 13" pleco. I have a Fluval 405 canister filtration system. I would like to switch to sand as it looks nice, I hear that parrotfish like it, and it is a bit easier to clean. My questions are as follows:

1. Will my filtration system will have to do 'twice the work' it used to if I switch from my current gravel to sand? Will this filtration system be enough?
2. I know that sand can be expensive in a aquarium store, dependent on the type purchased. I've heard of a lot of different types of substrate that can be purchased elsewhere, including quickrete medium grit sand, Pool Filter sand, and 3m colorquartz (which has been discontinued but just might still be sitting around on a few shelves out there). Which sand would you recommend, and can anyone provide the name of the pool business that actually carries PF sand (without me having to order it?) Just don't want to make a mistake that might 'do in' my parrots.

I live in Calgary, Alberta. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to AA! :)

The filtration will work just as hard as it is now. The 405 is a nice filter and should be fine. I always advocate running two filters on the tank so that you're covered for failure and can thoroughly clean one without significantly impacting your bacteria colonies.

I'd go with PFS. IMHO, it's by far the best sand for FW use. Based on price, availability, and size.

Here are the listings for your area.
Google

when/if you pull out the fish during the gravel change, keep them in buckets of the tank's water.I have heard of people doing gravel changes with the fish in the tank, but that isn't something I would like to do.

Pool filter sand is great and very cheap. I purchase mine at walmart, 3-5 dollars for a bag. 2 1/2 bags did a 50 and 49 (hex) of mine, 1 bag for my 29 gal.

Just be sure to rinse it! Put 1/4 in a 5 gal bucket and stick a garden hose in it. Push the hose to the bottom and stir around. Fill the bucket and let it run over, empty and repeat around 5 times. It should be clear.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I shall go with the PF Sand! I'll probably have more questions as things go along so I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

Wow - nice setup and good job! I hope my tank looks that good once I'm done.
Oops, this is in reference to:
+1,000,000 on the PFS! lol. VERY cheap and very nice looking. it can also be vacuumed like gravel. i love it. i've seen a lot of people with almost white PFS, but mine is quite a bit darker. i used Quikrete PFS. check it out in my tank My 20 gallon build thread

Sorry - still learning how to use this forum!

Wow - nice setup and good job! I hope my tank looks that good once I'm done.
Oops, this is in reference to:
+1,000,000 on the PFS! lol. VERY cheap and very nice looking. it can also be vacuumed like gravel. i love it. i've seen a lot of people with almost white PFS, but mine is quite a bit darker. i used Quikrete PFS. check it out in my tank My 20 gallon build thread

Sorry - still learning how to use this forum!

thanks!! :D

Just to clarify some comments on pfs, there are many different companies that do pfs some have a natural (sand color) look to it and other have a pristine white look to it so its up to you to decide what to go with there.

You also have the choice of regular 2.99 sand box play sand which is ok but needs to be washed and I would recommend washing it extremely well as it is a little finer than most substrates and can severly damage your filters moving parts. Also in the realm of play sand is some "premier" play sand which is a little less dusty and less coarse than reg play sand. I would prefer and use the next is natural sakrete play sand. Its got a blue stripe on the bag and is sold for 3.69/50lbs where I'm at or a redonculous price of 39 cents/lbs at fish stores. The choice is yours!!

Reactions: HN1
Just from my experience I would suggest not getting play sand. I have play sand in my tank and I like how it looks and all, but it is very fine sand. The problem with that is it takes forever to rinse it, and it very easily gets sucked up into filters and destroys impellers.

When I first got play sand I rinsed it for a around an hour, maybe more, and it still made my water extremely cloudy. Also, I have an internal power filter and it was sucking sand right through the sponges and destroyed my impeller. I now have to wrap filter padding around the intake tubing. So, I have a layer of sponges and then a layer of filter padding before my intake and still some sand makes it through. Seems that I have it protected enough now tho.

Just from my experience I would suggest not getting play sand. I have play sand in my tank and I like how it looks and all, but it is very fine sand. The problem with that is it takes forever to rinse it, and it very easily gets sucked up into filters and destroys impellers.

When I first got play sand I rinsed it for a around an hour, maybe more, and it still made my water extremely cloudy. Also, I have an internal power filter and it was sucking sand right through the sponges and destroyed my impeller. I now have to wrap filter padding around the intake tubing. So, I have a layer of sponges and then a layer of filter padding before my intake and still some sand makes it through. Seems that I have it protected enough now tho.

+1 I bought a bag of regular sandbox play sand and started washing it..about 2 hrs later it was still murky and I thought after all the sand I washed I wouldn't have any left so I scrapped the play sand and went with the natural play sand as I said before. No problems since.

Back
Top Bottom