Recommendations on Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoolHand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So now that I think I have a firm grip on the Aquariums, Nitrogen Cycle, and maintenance it is time for me to start thinking about what type of fish to get. Please note that I have never kept fish and I have 2 freshwater tanks, one is my 4 year old sons (5 gallon) and my first tank(30 gallon tall).

Qualities that would be nice:
- colourful
- active
- hearty
- not too big

Both tanks are currently undergoing a fishless cycle so I have a few weeks to think about fish but thought perhaps ideas would be nice. I was thinking of the 2-3 neon guppies for my sons tank. I think that would be it for his as it is only 5 gallons. I'm not quite sure what to do for mine. My wife stresses colourful. I think it would be nice to have 2-3 breeds (variety)? Is this a good thought? How should I start? Should I add some smaller fish first and then gradually increase a new breed? Also what should I do with male/female? Do I keep all of one sex so I don't have to worry about breeding? Should I be thinking of any sort of snail or bottom feeders or algae feeders?

Lastly, remember this is my first crack at this and I am trying to keep things relatively simple. If after a year or so all is well I may try a more complicated set-up or bigger tanks.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Hopefully I can get a good plan in place to have healthy tanks.

Cheers,

CH...

Hi! I think Neon Tetras are too active for a 5 gal; they are schooling fish and would need at least 6 and a good amount of space to swim. Unless you meant guppies? Not sure if they would be OK in a 5 gal, maybe someone else could answer that better than I. For your son's tank I would recommend a single Betta or maybe a small school of nano fish (chili rasbora to name one off the top of my head), but stocking options are pretty limited for a 5 gal.

For your 30, you have a lot more options. I'm not great at stocking, but you could do a good size school (tetras, etc), and then maybe some platys or guppies, and maybe a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami. Again I'm far from a stocking expert so I'm sure someone else will chime in.

For ideas, you could take a look at this site; if a fish catches your eye, click on it and the site gives good info on tank size, temperament, etc. Make a list of fish you might like and then ask here. Good luck!

I recommend a Betta as well for your son's tank. Bettas are really lively outside of a bowl mine swims to whatever the side of the tank I'm on and follows me when I walk by. I have 5 tanks full of fish and Betty the betta is still my favorite.
You might be able to do two endler's livebearers(male only so they wont breed) and some red cherry shrimp in a 5 gallon. That would be pretty colorful.

So now that I think I have a firm grip on the Aquariums, Nitrogen Cycle, and maintenance it is time for me to start thinking about what type of fish to get. Please note that I have never kept fish and I have 2 freshwater tanks, one is my 4 year old sons (5 gallon) and my first tank(30 gallon tall).

Qualities that would be nice:
- colourful
- active
- hearty
- not too big

Both tanks are currently undergoing a fishless cycle so I have a few weeks to think about fish but thought perhaps ideas would be nice. I was thinking of the 2-3 neon guppies for my sons tank. I think that would be it for his as it is only 5 gallons. I'm not quite sure what to do for mine. My wife stresses colourful. I think it would be nice to have 2-3 breeds (variety)? Is this a good thought? How should I start? Should I add some smaller fish first and then gradually increase a new breed? Also what should I do with male/female? Do I keep all of one sex so I don't have to worry about breeding? Should I be thinking of any sort of snail or bottom feeders or algae feeders?

Lastly, remember this is my first crack at this and I am trying to keep things relatively simple. If after a year or so all is well I may try a more complicated set-up or bigger tanks.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Hopefully I can get a good plan in place to have healthy tanks.

Cheers,

CH...
5 gallon advice = I keep guppies in a 5 gallon tank and they do fine. You are right to say only 2 or 3. Get all males. They are more colorful and then you don't have to worry about babies. :) You could also add nerite snails or shrimp or both. A betta is another option. They are a lot of fun to watch when they have room to swim.
30 gallon advice = They are a ton of options. Once you decide on a few fish, then we talk about genders and the order to add them because these things are not the same for all fish. :)
Corys, Bristlenose pleco, pitbull pleco, and kuhli loaches are a few suggestions for the bottom.
Colorful fish are neons, cardinals, swordtails, platys, guppies, flame tetras, blue tetras, dwarf gouramis, honey gouramis, and rummy nose tetras.
Gold, blue or opaline gouramis make good centerpiece fish as well as a single angel.
Let us know what you like and we will help! Happy stocking!

Thanks everyone! I'll start to research some of these suggestions and I'll make a post when I get an idea of what I think I'm going to do.

Cheers,

CH...

Back
Top Bottom