Recommended fish for a beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon, which currently has 4 bronze catfish and 3 white clouds in it. Originally I was planning on putting my betta in there, so I was only getting fish that would be compatible with him. However, he passed away. :cry: Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get another betta, or if I'd rather get some different fish and have more options as to what kinds I can get.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what kinds of fish are good for beginners, and would go well in my tank? I will be using my betta's 2.5 gal as a quarantine tank, so as soon as I finish cleaning it and getting it set up again, I'll be ready for some more fish. I plan on getting more white clouds, and some ottos, but I'm not sure what other options are out there. Oh yea, how long should I quarantine the new fish?

If the catfish are corys, you have plenty of room for more fish; either a couple of schools of smaller fish or a few larger fish. 30g is a nice size tank!

What are your water parameters (pH, temps, etc)? That will help determine what other fish will go well in your tank.

Yes, they are corys. Right now I have the temp at about 74, and pH is usually about 7.2-7.4, although I haven't checked that recently.

They say to QT new fish for at least two weeks. (It takes a lot of patience not to give into the temptation of dumping in new fish sooner than that).

As for what would go well in your tank... I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. Have you dropped the idea of a betta altogether? I can't think of any off the top of my head that require the cooler temps that White Clouds do.

Back
Top Bottom