recovering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! After many water changes I think my 3 week old tank is recovering from my well intentioned nephew grossly over feeding my fish (at least 6 months worth of food). I had to vaccum, so I hope I didn't disrupt my cycling. My water is clear and the fish are surviving (reeeeally wished I would have known that I should've done a fishless cycle). I just tested and results are: ammonia-.25 ppm, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, Ph-7.6. I have 2 guppies and 2 danios in a 29 gallon. Considering these results, can anyone tell me how it's going so far?

It seems like you handled the spilled food issue wonderfully :). It does seem however that you are still early into your cycle. Cycling with fish can potentially take months.

I'm sure you've seen this a hundred times, but here's the fish-in cycling guide-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

If temporarily re-homing the fish and doing a fishless cycle is something that remotely interests you...you're welcome to check out the guide and FAQ in my signature :)

How old is your nephew?

I remember when I was 4, I watched my neighbors goldfish in a bowl. I came downstairs in the morning and poured in a whole box of cereal thinking fish eat breakfast too. It died.

Anyway, I'm glad your tank is recovering and the cycle is back on track.

My nephew is 8, and he was really sorry when he realized what he'd done. On a good note, it offered me the opportunity to explain a little about fish care. He seems really interested....budding fish enthusiast (sp?)? Hopefully. I had to go out of town the other day, I did a yet another pwc before I left and my numbers are looking good today. My ammonia is a 0, nitrites are finally showing up (.25)!!! If I'm not mistaken..doesn't that indicate that things are finally moving along. I'll continue pwc's and hopefully the my "fish in" cycling won't take forever. I wish I didn't live so far away from my nearest lfs or I'd return the little guys. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom