Red Claw Crab Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mutantllama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red Claw Crabs *4

65 litre tank
Heater (water kept at 25 degrees)
Interpet CF1 filter
Tap water treated with Tapsafe (not brackish)
Gravel Substrate
Seaside rocks for land mass (cleaned in cold water)
Sea Shells for decoration (boiled first)

First two weeks they appeared healthy and lively, and one of them became pregnant. Then had an infestation of bloodworm and some other sort of larvae, so I kept the crabs safe in another tank and completely cleaned the tank. This involved:

Emptying the tank, and pouring boiling water over the substrate, eradicating the bloodworm/larvae problem. Then, I used a toothbrush and a small amount of washing up liquid (this was probably my first mistake :banghead:) to scrub the inside of the glass and heater/filter. I repeatedly rinsed and drained the tank so as to make sure that there was no trace of the washing up liquid, and was confident I had removed it all (there was no bubbles or slimy feeling). Replaced the filter.

I purchased some new white rocks from Pets At Home, along with a decorative land mass and a piece of aquatic wood.

Third week, pregnant crab started to decline, died in the fourth week; I drained and replaced the water several times in an effort to make sure there was nothing untoward in the water. Noticed that the bigger crab was getting a little unresponsive, so gently tried getting him out of the tank but his claw fell off?! I must stress that I did not touch his claw, it was as I scooped him up from behind and he landed on my hand (possible moulting?).

The other two crabs appear OK at the moment, but I am concerned that they are all going to perish if left unchecked. I plan on getting some Marine Salt, and see if they prosper better in brackish water, but any advice would be well received!

No comments on the washing up liquid please, I am already kicking myself over this....

Back
Top Bottom