Red Clawed Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skovac05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, just signed up for the forum.

I am interested in getting a pair of red clawed crabs and I am starting from scratch. I don't know much about them so any information on how to care for them/life span/what type of water conditions they need/tank size/etc I would appreciate. I have been reading on the web and it seems like it is mixed reviews as far as water type and living conditions. I just want them to be happy crabs! Thinking about getting them sometime this weekend.

Thanks for any info,
Sara

Hey, welcome to AA :)

Red clawed crabs are great! A pair will do well in a 10gallon tank. Their habitat needs to be half land, half water. They need atleast some surface access, or they will eventually suffocate. You can fill 1/4 of the tank with water and slope sand out to make a beach area. Playsand works great, make sure it's natural washed sand. Their water needs to be BRACKISH, a salinity of 1.005 will be good. Get an internal filter, like the whisper 10i, because power filters will have trouble with the low water level. They will eat live plants, so fake is best, and some rocks and hiding spots. They'll eat algae wafers, sinking pellets, crab pellets, etc. You can feed them in the water or on land. Make sure to have a hood that is COMPLETLY sealed, they are very good escape artists. Tape any openings on the hood. It's not that expensive to set up a habitat for them, and if you do it right, they make great pets to watch :)

Here are two of my threads on my crabs:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/10gal-crabitat-132262.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/29gal-crabitat-build-thread-133666.html

Google is your friend for more info, but take everything with a grain of salt. There's a lot of misinformation out there. Good luck! :)

--Adeeb

Question??

Hey. My mum recently gave me a 55 gallon reptile tank that I would love to put some Red Clawed Crabs in. I was looking for any and all info you could give to me about them. I was also considering using a divider and dividing half of the tank off to put something else in the other side. What do you think could go in with them? And now, I'm not even sure if that's going to make any sense at all. Thank you so much for your help! =)

Back
Top Bottom