Red ear slider/pleco tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iemmie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just looking for some general advice about what i should be doing with this tank.
I don't really have any experience with aquariums, I honestly didn't do any research before I set it up.
I got a red ear slider about a year and a half ago and decided to get a pleco a few months ago to clean the tank up.
I've been feeding my turtle feeder fish(I stick a dozen in the tank and he eats them when he gets hungry), turtle pellets, freeze-dried mealworms, and some veggies (lettuce, cucumber, celery leaves).
I have them in a 40 gallon tank with a 55 gallon filter, a uv light fixture with two bulbs, a floating rock with a heat lamp, and a rock hidey for my pleco.
I've been feeding my pleco sinking algae discs but my turtle has been trying to eat them and I'm not sure if either of them are getting enough food.
My pleco has been swimming around the tank constantly and not staying in one place trying to eat.
He goes all along the rock and sides really quickly, and he seems to be sucking on the water itself?
When I had them in a smaller tank(20 gallon) he would stay in one place and eat.
EDIT: took the gravel out.
Are the shiny parts of my turtle's shell normal?
I've also been considering putting live plans in the tank, but I'm not sure how to go about that, or if it would be a good idea.
I don't have a temperature gauge, I'm not putting anything in the water, and I don't give my turtle any kind of vitamins or anything else.
They both seem to be perfectly healthy and are growing, but I would like to know what I should do to improve my tank and make sure they stay healthy.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom