Redecorating aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermint

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not quite satisfied with the look of my aquarium right now.

It's a 20 gallon tank with 3 guppies (down 1 :( with neutral, beige coloured gravel, 1 tall plastic plant and 2 half sized plastic plants, several smaller rocks, a tall driftwood which I'll take out because of it coloring the water.

I think there are too many small things in the aquarium and was looking to put maybe slabs of big rocks. What kind of rocks could I get for cheap (ie home depot etc) that would be safe in a guppy aquarium? Any ideas on decorating the aquarium? I think the fact that it's kind of lacking fish also doesn't help. hehe

You can look into getting slate and stack it, it is somewhat expensive if you cant find it in nature. I use a combination of round river rock and some slate and granite. As long as its not limestone or a rock with high amounts of iron (iron+water=rust) you should be fine. Oh, and you wanna make sure the rocks are not treated with chemicals and are soaked and scrubbed prior to that.

I went to a landscaping company that sold rock by the load and asked how much they would charge me for just a few rocks, he laughed at me and handed me a bucket and said if it will fit and I can carry it its free.

creeks are good places to find rock as well. as long as the creek doesnt get polluted with septic lines running in it, lots of traffic, etc, they're generally safe. upstream from the public is a good place to look. I got all mine from creeks (with the help of aquarium1) and i really like the way it makes my tank look like I just cut a piece of the creek out and put it in glass

IMO, nothing adds as much to a tank as quickly as live plants do. A thought depending on your lighting.

Alright thanks! I was thinking about adding plants, I'll go read about those. Gotta find me a landscaping company too.

I personally went with a theme. Some may call it childish or stupid but I'm a huge OSU fan. I have:

- 4 Ohio State golf balls
- 2 x 5lb bags of Red (scarlet;)) gravel
- 1 x 5lb bag of Gray gravel
- 1 x 5lb bag of Black gravel
- 1 sm, 2 med, 1 lg plant
- 1 upside down fishbowl
- 1 log/cave
- 1 custom background. Birdseye view of The Horseshoe.

Getting a helmet and figurines in the future. I had an "all natural" look with shell my wife and I have found on various trips. Just to done for me. I needed something different.

My buddy did his 20g in all UFC/MMA. Kinda cool actually.

I personally went with a theme. Some may call it childish or stupid but I'm a huge OSU fan. I have:

- 4 Ohio State golf balls
- 2 x 5lb bags of Red (scarlet;)) gravel
- 1 x 5lb bag of Gray gravel
- 1 x 5lb bag of Black gravel
- 1 sm, 2 med, 1 lg plant
- 1 upside down fishbowl
- 1 log/cave
- 1 custom background. Birdseye view of The Horseshoe.

Getting a helmet and figurines in the future. I had an "all natural" look with shell my wife and I have found on various trips. Just to done for me. I needed something different.

My buddy did his 20g in all UFC/MMA. Kinda cool actually.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of this.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of this.

Thanks! I'll get pics up ASAP. I really need to "finish" what I'm gonna do with it. I just finished hanging up my 2 signed Jerry Lucas pics and my Quinn Pitcock. Now have 5 autographed pics and a plethra of other pics/decor. I'm so glad my wife loves OSU as much as I do. Our whole little studio apartment is OSU. Even teh curtains are scarlet. :p

TCool said:
Sorry to hear that!

GO BADGERS!!! :grin:

Haha! I can't hate on Wisconsin. You're mascot looks about as ridiculous as ours. :p

Don't you DARE knock Brutus though! Only we can! :D

Ridiculous? I love Bucky!! haha

At least neither of ours looks like Penn State's mascot. Looks like they just slapped a brown rug on a guy and decided to call it a lion. :lol:

At least neither of ours looks like Penn State's mascot. Looks like they just slapped a brown rug on a guy and decided to call it a lion. :lol:

Haha. We could stir the pot with this thread. I'll throw in my $0.02 and let it ride from there.

Brutus (Ohio State): Some call it a worthless nut, some say it's a dude with a baked potato for a head. Honestly though, what more can you do with a buckeye?

Bucky the Badger (Wisconsin): I've never seen a badger look so shady. Looks like he was litterally dropped on his head as an infant badger. In all reality badgers can be downright viscious. An oddly shaped stuffed badger head with a sweaty college kid inside? Not so much.

Chief Illiniwek (Illinois): Actually named after a group of tribes, not one tribe or individual Chief. Was deemed offensive and dance his llast dance in 07. Offensive? Really? What about Notre Dame hiring a red haired little man do dress like a leprachaun and dance the jig? Get over it people.

Nittany Lion (Penn State): 0 points for an original name. We know WHAT he is (kinda) but WHO is he? Brutus and Bucky at least posses names. PS ~ A nittany lion is just a normal mountain lion that roamed a certain geographical area and someone created the name "Nittany Lion". Weak.

Wolverines (Michigan): Killer mascot idea. Not sure how it translates to ANYTHING UM. Winged helmets are known throughout but where are the wings on a wolverine? Ever seen a UM mascot? Me neither. Get a live wolverine and a live badger at a game in the fall and I'll be sure to tune in. Let them loose during halftime and your TV viewership would sky rocket? Not willing to do that? Well, good luck wooing the masses with Rich Rod and his awesome coaching UM.

Sparty (Michigan State): Seen 300? Awesome. Mascot looks like a cheesy, stuffed bobble headed version though. Get a legit looking SPartan on the side and maybe a bottomless pit on the sideline to kick people into and I'll be intrigued.

Herky (Iowa): Sorry. Every time I hear Herky I think of Jerky and everytime I hear Hawkeye I think of M*A*S*H. So why is Herky a hawk anyways? Shouldn't he jsut be the hawks eye?

Boilermakers (Purdue): Really? A guy who repairs boilers or heavy steel? Get your big, goofy head out of the way. I'm trying to watch the game.

Hoosiers (Indiana): Hoo·sier. –noun 1. a native or inhabitant of Indiana
So that would make use the Ohio State Ohioans? We'd have the Penn Sate Pennsylvanians? Dumb. Get a real mascot. I don't care about your silly movie or how important basketball is too you (although I'd never be able to know since you haven't won it all for as long as I can remember).

Gophers (Minnesota): Everything else about the school sucks, why shouldn't the mascot. :p Seriously though, a gopher? Why not a moose and squirrel? If you're gonna use a goofy/cutesy animal make it look as mean as possible (see Maryland).

Wildcats (Northwestern): See Minnesota.

How's that for thread-jacking? My bad.

....fish are cool.

HEY YOU DON'T SAY THAT!!!! Penn State for life!!!! Jo Pa for prez!!

Haha....Joe Pa hasn't actually coached fro 5 years. HE doesn't even know he's still alive. :)

Mad props and respect to the guy in all serisouness though.

Gophers (Minnesota): Everything else about the school sucks, why shouldn't the mascot. :razz: Seriously though, a gopher? Why not a moose and squirrel? If you're gonna use a goofy/cutesy animal make it look as mean as possible (see Maryland).
LOL, love that one.

Good write up! But, Bucky isn't shady, he's freaking awesome! lol

LOL!! Boo to Penn State (it was rough watching the whooping they handed to us at home a couple years ago in football... but we have a crappy coach). Joe Pat is cool and all, but I'm expecting to see him die on the field one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom