Redoing a 65G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

After a year of having a planted 65G tank with a community, I'm thinking of redoing the design and do more hard escaping (rocks). Naturally talking to the experts and getting their opinion is always good for a major project like this, specially since I've never done it before. So here are my thoughts and what I'm thinking to do. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

1) The end goal is to have a community of, sword-tails, clown loaches, zebra danios, 1 angel, and a few bottom feeders.

2) I'm planning to change my mixed gravel to black and white sand (2 color) but not mixed. Any issues on sand? I've heard sand is better for plants and easier for bottom-feeding fish, but it's harder to keep it clean and vacuum.

3) As part of hard escaping, I'm planning to stack some layered red rocks, but this maybe be unstable. Are there any tips or tools (e.g. gluing) to make sure they stay stacked and stable?

4) I'm using red rocks that have the layered look on them and are very soft. Any ideas if they are ok for aquarium usage?

Any other advice to help me on completing this project ...?

-maz

It sounds nice! That sounds an interesting tank layout.

I’d swap the clown loaches to smaller yoyo loaches I think. And test those red rocks in a bucket of water to see if they keep their shape.

Are you adding plants as well?

I'd skip the angel or add a few of them. They do much better in groups and they look better in multiples as well.Glue the rocks together with aquarium cement. (BTW it"s hardscaping)

Thank you for the advice and thanks for introducing me to yoyo loaches. As for the rocks, it was a good learning experience. I put them in water. They keep their shape, but they can be easy scraped and leave a residue like mud. I'm looking into flagstone which is much harder and still have an exposed strata on their profile.

Back
Top Bottom