Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Redoing tank quesion?

I am turning a current 10 gallon fish tank into a shrimp tank. I am removing all of the fish in the tank tomorrow. Can I change the substrate(gravel) to sand with out taking the water out? And if I can keep the water in will it be considered cycled still?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone??????

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you can take out gravel. Rinse Rinse Rinse and when you think you have rinsed the sand enough Rinse again !! Sand is messy and will cloud water for a while but it is worth it. Shrimp like the sand.... What kind of shrimp are you getting? I have bamboo , ghost and red cherry in my 40g will all my fish, Pleco, and Cory's
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well for starters my tank at the moment includes a tetra whisperer 30 filter (getting a smaller filter) a 50-75 watt heater and I'm getting a light for plants which I will have in before the shrimp. I am going to get red cherry shrimp and I was thinking because of the small bio load of shrimp it would be hard for the tank to cycle so maybe using used water would be better. Although this also made me think of cons of using used water.. Is it possible I have harmful bacteria in my water that could harm the shrimp? If so maybe using new water and fish-less cycling it would be more beneficial. But yeah anyways this will be a planted shrimp only tank thanks for responses!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am kind of new at this but have some experience. Two years ago I had a fish tank up and running with gravel. When I set up my tank this time, I used sand. I already put my water in before my sand. You have to rinse out the sand before you put it into the water. Make sure you rinse it well or else you will get lots of sand air bubbles. I had a few so I just used my hand to shake it free. It is also very important to turn your filter off. I read online that it can ruin it if you do not. Your water will look cloudy when you put it in but let the sand settle for 5 to 10 minutes than turn back on the filter and let it do its job. I hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So can I used my old tank water or should I start fresh?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

I would just used the water that you already have so you don't have to worry about cycle it again.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would be afraid to add in shrimp after I changed the substrate I guess I could just watch the water conditions with my test kit. Maybe while I'm at petco buying black sand I can buy a ghost shrimp or 2 to use them as a tester shrimp before I add in my RCS. Also I was wondering the correct way to change out filter media. When I change it on my whisperer I just throw the use media away and get a new one because normally they are covered in gunk. Is this the right way? Is the gunk beneficial bacterial? Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

I've never had shrimp before so I am not quite sure what would be best for them. For the filter part... I would also throw away the media part when I had fancy goldfish but I had carbon in the filter and I really just followed what the filter's instructions. Sometimes I would go a little longer than what they said and would just rinse the gunk off. I do not believe it is good bacteria that gets stuck on it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com