Replacing filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griff5499

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a aqueon filter system. It has a replaceable filter. Carbon I believe. I am confused by the bb in the used filter and am afraid of replacing for fear of losing my bb. Is there enough of this good bacteria in the bio holster and other parts?
My tank is a 36 gal and have been up and running for about 4 weeks. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

I learned the hard way dont change the filter! Like you for years i thought you was supposed to but they say to swish it in tank water and put it back in. Never throw it away unless its coming apart.

The Aqueon bio-holster is not well designed and doesn't hold much bb, there is just not enough surface area. Most other HOB filters have a porous sponge that you never replace in addition to a cartridge, these sponges do a much better job at growing bb. I would suggest modding your filter by cutting a porous sponge and putting it in front of the bio-holster.

Something like this: Aqueon filter modded - YouTube

Until you have a better surface for the bb to grow on I wouldn't replace your cartridge, just swish it around in aquarium water. Don't use tap water as chlorine will kill the bb you are trying to save. Once you mod it give it a month for the bacteria to grow on the new sponge before you replace the cartridge, after that you should be able to replace it as often as you want.

Nice work! I stuffed my aqueon full of goodies too! Doing the job, if you dont want to use carbon there is a cut to fit blue filter pack that work excellent, it's like $6 for probably 2-3 years worth of filtering media.

Back
Top Bottom