Resetting tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bellevuehill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 1000 Liter in Wall Fresh Water Fishtank (very accessible at the rear in cupboard). I emptied this 2 years ago due to something that happened with the water due to a flooding from the apartment above me.

Anyhow I have just given the Tank a good clean out using Vinegar and Hot Water and got rid of all the rocks etc that where in there so its nice and spotless now. I just want to know is there anything else I should be doing to it before I attempt to fill it up (checking that the seals are all ok as well).

I also run a Fluval FX5 Filter. So I am assuming I need to re purchase the media for inside of it (filter Pads, blocks and media). What should I wash the inside of the filter out with?

So once I have everything clean and tested what should I be doing? When the tank was first set up 7 years ago (had it running for a good 5 years nicely) I had it set up professionally. They filled it up and ran it on a cycle for a month before adding anything to it (rocks, plants, fish). I am guessing I do the same here?

Anyhow any advice would be great.

Sounds like those people did a fishless cycle on your tank.

You can read all about how to do it yourself here:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

The only thing I might do differently than in that article is not to dose up to 4ppm ammonia. You probably don't need that much, and it creates huge nitrite spikes near the end of the process which can stall your cycle. Yes - those can be dealt with by doing water-changes, but it's probably better to start with a lower ammonia level e.g 2ppm.

Back
Top Bottom