Restarting cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added 7 drops yesterday. Tonight I checked...
Ammonia-0.25
Nitrite-between 2 and 5
Nitrate-10

And that I added just a drop or two of prime, and suddenly my nitrite was lower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Over the past 3 days, water test results have remained largely the same, with nitrite being 5ppm or possibly even higher. I added two drops of ammonia tonight just to keep the Nitrosomonas from starving. I haven't seen a big climb and nitrate either ..... So I'm considering a 20 percent water change tomorrow. I do it now but its late, and I'm sleepy!

Ill keep everyone posted! Any advice or hints or just small inconsequential facts may help!

Patience! Those highly specialized bacteria grow slowly. It's happening, just go with I.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I got a seeded sponge from Angels Plus and my 75 gallon was cycled in 4 days. There were snails on it, be warned. I picked off all of them but somehow I missed one. Now a few months later I have a ginormous mystery snail.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not entirely sure what that matters but thanks for sharing.

If you're implying that I used seeded media.... My LFS doesnt vhange them again for a while and petco kinda sucks in general

I mean you could get seeded media. Angelsplus.com sells seeded sponge filters. All you need to have on hand is an air pump.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

Unrelated to this, I might check that site out tonight.

Just so everyone knows I did a 30 percent water change the other to knock the nitrite down to more manageable levels. I checked a few hours later and got a reading of 1ppm. Today i got a reading of 0.25ppm. Not sure if water didn't have enough time to mix or if bacteria lowered nitrite.

Will keep everyone posted

Nitrite was **** near 0ppm this afternoon....so i dosed to 2ppm. Will update with results at noon

I think so
Today-ammo was 0, nitrite was 0.5

Added 7 drops ammo...not exactly sure if I'm supposed to add 1 drop per gallon of tank capacity or 1 drop per gallon of actual water.

Its a ten gallon tank, but with the decorations and all, its full in about 6-7 gallons

Well I've tested.
Ammonia was at 0 as I expected.... I could probably cycle that whole bottle!

Nitrite is at 2 ppm.

Kinda wish nitrite consuming bacteria would step it up.

I'm going to give it another day and see where the nitrite is at.
Hopefully it will be much lower.

Im proud of my ammonia consuming bacteria....but the nitrospira need to get with it.

In a display of full frontal nerdity....
The name nitrospira makes me think of Final Fantasy games. I wasn't aware they would take as long as one though.....

:)
When the nitrospra do finally get going, it happens really quickly. So there is still hope!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same as usual. Stepped it up to the entire 10 drops of ammonia.
Ammonia reads 0ppm after 4 hours
Nitrite still showing just under 0.25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom