Rethinking my lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
the stand is coming along nicely. i should be able to skin it up and stain it next week if the weather is nice. construction for the tank will begin as soon as the stand is complete and can be moved into the room. i'm starting to question how much light will be needed, given that this is not a tall tank by any means. at 55long by 20high, it certainly looks like a long tank instead of a show tank....

hopefulls:
Microsorum (narrow)
Lilaeopis brasiliensis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Althernanthera reineckii (possible problems with amano shrimp??)
Cabomba caroliniana -or- Limnophila sassiliflora
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Heteranthra zosterifolia
Hygrophila corymosa stricta
Nymphaea lotus (maybe...)

with those beauties in mind, my current plan is to go with a 2x55 and a 2x96 kit for a total of 302 watts 8O . however, i'm reconsidering this not because of heat and space under the canopy (or price), but overkill. if my estimates are correct, it's a 1wgp difference between the two plans (3wpg vs. 4wpg), and about $100. being the most critical element of the design, the glosso will be at most 20" from the lights.

Would simply going with 4x55 AHS lights be enough for the above mentioned plants?? anything else i should consider? TIA

Back
Top Bottom