Rinsing sand? (Quick replies, please!) (:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twixie09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So I have a ten gallon tank now, but I have a 20g long tank to set up when I move in just a few days now. I bought some regular aquarium sand to put in the 20g tank (I'm currently using a mixture of marbles and small stones) because I have heard that sand is more beneficial to bottom feeders, and I have two corydoras. (Please don't tell me I need more than two. I'm well aware that they are schooling fish, and I had three but one died and I wanted to wait until I move to add more fish). Anyway, I've heard from a lot of places that sand needs to be rinsed prior to adding to a new tank, but I've also heard you do not need to rinse it. So which is it? I have a betta and the two corys I had mentioned before, if that helps at all. A prompt response would be greatly appreciated. :)

New sand is very dirty and very silty. I put ours in a five gallon bucket and rinse and repeat a number of times until the water stays clear.

Yes, it's new sand. I won't have a hose at the new place because it will be an apartment (there's a hose where I'm at now). If I rinse it now, will it be okay to sit for a few days? We move Saturday. If so, what would you recommend doing with the rinsed sand? Like, where should I store it? Obviously the bag it came in would not be a good idea. It is 20 pounds of sand, if that helps.

Anyway, I've heard from a lot of places that sand needs to be rinsed prior to adding to a new tank, but I've also heard you do not need to rinse it. So which is it? I have a betta and the two corys I had mentioned before, if that helps at all. A prompt response would be greatly appreciated. :)

Definitely rinse unless you like having dust colored water from all the silt / sand dust. With PFS, a neat trick I read is to put the sand in a pillow case and hold it under a shower. The dust passes through the pillow case, but the PFS is coarse enough to stay behind ... depending on how much sand, you may be holding it awhile:D.

I went with the bucket thing. :p

Also, I heard you can't use air stones with sand. Is that true? It makes complete sense, but I just wanted to make sure.

I went with the bucket thing. :p

Also, I heard you can't use air stones with sand. Is that true? It makes complete sense, but I just wanted to make sure.

I believe you just can't put them under the sand. The air bubbles would lift the sand into the water column. I use a bubble wand that is just above the sand with no problems.

I have the long blue one. I guess I can see if it would stay on top of the sand. I think my little guys like the bubbles. :)

This is what I do. I rinse the sand in the bathroom, leave the water running and let the bucket overflow and stir the sand from the bottom to the top for about 3 min.

This is what I do. I rinse the sand in the bathroom, leave the water running and let the bucket overflow and stir the sand from the bottom to the top for about 3 min.

I got it. Thanks, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom