Ro/di water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

77speedyturtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So we have a six stage ro/di system. The water comes out about 0 to 3 TDS . My question is what do people use to remineralize their water to bring up proper kh and gh. We have a whole gammet of fish setups from angels, snails, shrimp, guppies, puffers, loaches, coreys and all tanks are planted except the hospital tank.

I mix my ro with my tap to reach target TDS #.
I don't run my DI for freshwater as it is quickly used up and pretty expensive.

Yeah I'm just starting to realize that but my water is so terrible I'm not sure how to get the water i want. My TDS out of tap is 540 to 590 depending on the day. They use chloramine in the water. Without the di resin my water still has ammonia readings. That's why I added a mixed bed di resin cartridge.

Hello 77...

Feeding your fish a balanced diet of flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods should replenish the minerals just fine. I keep no water change tanks and as long as I feed my fish foods that contain minerals, they replenish the tank minerals through their dissolving waste material. I top off the tanks with distilled water, so there's never a problem with a build up of minerals in the tank water.

B

Over the counter:
Seachem Equilibrium.
Salty Shrimp.

For gH:
CaSO4
MgSO4
KH2SO4

For kH:
NaHCO3
CaCO3

For a calculator to figure out how much / how many degrees:
https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Hope this helps.

I personally mix 5:1 RO:Hard Tap Water. This gives me a kH of 4-5 and a gH of 5-6. I then boost gH another 2 degrees (resulting in 7-9 degrees) using CaSO4 and MgSO4 to ensure my plants are getting enough Ca and Mg.

Cool, I was just reading info about seachem equilibrium,an salty shrimp. I guess i got some more reading to do about the other.Thanks for info.

Yeah I'm just starting to realize that but my water is so terrible I'm not sure how to get the water i want. My TDS out of tap is 540 to 590 depending on the day. They use chloramine in the water. Without the di resin my water still has ammonia readings. That's why I added a mixed bed di resin cartridge.

My water is the same. Generally closer to 600 tds. I use baking soda, calcium chloride, and epsom salt. I change softer tanks first starting with about 30 gallons of water and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. I stay 2-1 on calcium and magnesium. So, if I am looking for 100tds that is where I start. If I want more, like 200, then I add calcium and magnesium.

The only time I use my tap in a softer tank is if I need water quick and I use tap to warm up my Ro quicker. I add gallon at a time to get temp and hardness right

Hey,mbkemp,thanks for the info. So you use di resin? What kind do you use? If you do how much water can you produce with each cartridge? Is there a way to get rid of ammonia an chloramine with out using resin? Thanks again for your input����

Sorry, just saw this. I do use di. I don’t know how many gallons at this point. I started with this system in April. I use 40-60 gallons of Ro/di water each week. Chlorine will gas out with a little bit of time. Chloramine, not so much. I still use a little bit of prime, just because it makes me feel better

Back
Top Bottom