RO System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't used that model but it looks like a pretty standard 3 stage RO/4 stage RODI unit depending on which model you get.

When you are looking at the cost of an RO unit make sure you factor everything else you are going to need. Some are just straight RO units. Some include tubing, valves, tools, etc.

Are you going RO or RODI? What are you planning to use for storage?

I have been getting all my RO needs from AirWaterIce for almost 10 years and all there stuff has been great.

I am still exploring South American cichlids and really want to set up for them. My water is hard and ph around 8. Starting a 29 gal tank and was considering mixing tap with RO but may need DI to drop the ph.

It depends on your source water but I would plan on a 50gpd giving you 1.2-1.6 gph. That is little more than a drip. Typically you would drip the RO unit into a storage container of some kind with a shut-off valve that turns the RO unit off when the storage container is full.

I am not a big fan of the buddie set up as it is cheap to buy but the filters you will replace the most are 2X the price of great quality filters...
Get a filter that uses standard 10" filters so you buy them from anywhere..
I use BRS but there are many good manufacturers of systems.
Just my opinion....

I agree with the above posters. I'd get something more like the Aquaticlife Junior model or something similar. Don't go cheap. I bought an Aquaticlife system five years ago and it works great.

To repeat a bit what others said, I hooked up my R/O system to a 40 gallon storage tank with a valve so R/O water is always being produced and stored. But straight R/O water is too acidic and sterile to use as is, so I hooked up a tap water line to it with another valve. I adjust the tap water flow so that the mixed water comes out to what I need, pH-wise, usually around 6.5.

My R/O unit is rated to produce 60 gallons per day but it produces more like 30 or so. Which works fine for me.

Remember, you will waste about 3-4 gallons of water for every gallon of R/O water you produce.

What kind of storage do most use

I use two 50g drums but that is probably more than you need.

rodi_setup-3408.jpg

I use Rubbermaid 'BRUTE' garbage cans .
I have a 42g for RO,and a 32 for RO/DI .
Too avoid wasting water a better filter and higher pressure help quite a bit.
You should easily have less then 10% of the original TDS if you just RO ,unless your pressure is low..
Most systems say they need 60 lbs, but I have found that over 45 works ok and getting up to 60 will save waste water and speed up production.
I run a BRS 6 stage chloramine deluxe unit with a pump to up my pressure.
I ran at 35-40 for a couple years but it took all day to get 75g and I wasted like 200+g in process...

Thank you all. Great resource in this app. I always appreciate the assistance

I just figured adding some RODI to my tap has to improve its hardness and PH. Like previously suggested maybe 70% tap and 30% RODI

Back
Top Bottom