Rock Check!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I don't have much luck with rocks, I thought I would check here first. :D

I was wondering if these would be safe to use in a crab tank, they do fizz when I add vinegar but as these are for crabs, I dont know whether the same applies.

Attachments

• IMG00784-20110422-1816.jpg
    IMG00784-20110422-1816.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG00785-20110422-1816.jpg
    IMG00785-20110422-1816.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 74
That is a piece of concrete. You cannot use concrete in fish tank (or ponds) unless it is aged for at least a season or 2. It will leech out stuff as it cures & severely mess with your water parameters. <Concrete normally need 6-9 months to fully cure.> For the impatient, the concrete can be sealed with epoxy.

As a rule, inverts (ie crabs & shrimps) are more sensitive to water parameter shifts than fish, so I would not be using the concrete without testing. <Ie. let the concrete cure/weather (or seal it), then soak it in a bucket of tank water for a few weeks & measure parameters before & after.>

Please don't use concrete in a tank ever. there are plenty of rocks you can use, the chemicals in the concrete will kill everything in your tank.

Pete

i wouldnt put any man made rocks in a tank unless it's at a fish store you can just go get a natural rock outside and stack them but boil them first

Ok. Thanks :D I didn't use the concrete, instead I ordered some acrylic off amazon as none of the stores around me sell it :/

There is a pretty good thread on here about rocks. I don't know how to link it, but it's called "aren't rocks just rocks". In that thread they strongly cautioned AGAINST boiling rocks as they can explode, so be careful!

Fishy123 said:
There is a pretty good thread on here about rocks. I don't know how to link it, but it's called "aren't rocks just rocks". In that thread they strongly cautioned AGAINST boiling rocks as they can explode, so be careful!

Not true, IME rocks can be boiled or baked if done properly.

You can boil them safely. Just font boil water, walk out side in thirty degree weather. And plop it in. It going from cold to hot makes it explode. So it you bring it in. Get it room temp. You should be fine.

LONG time ago I pulled some large rocks off a sheet tray (baked them) and dropped them into a pot of water to boil them (over kill I know now) and they "popped" in half...after the first one did that I did the same to the rest (neat sound) and i was all of 14 at the time... but again it was a HOT rock into cold water, pretty sure it would work the other way around as well.

Back
Top Bottom