Rocks from fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, i got some rocks for my aquarium, meteorite like. I just went ahead and put them to boil. Can i put them directly in my tank after that?

You should be able to. Being that its a meteorite it could always contain some rare or unique metals. Someone here posted an interesting photo of some type of growth or corrosion on a rock inside their aquarium in a very recent thread? that looks odd, or like it could contaminate the tanks Ph balance. Hopefully whomever sold it to you knows what to buy and sell that is best for aquariums. Rocks that have a lot of texture can harbor critters but boiling should kill most of them.

Your best bet is to soak them in a bucket and teat the pH over a number of days to see if it changes significantly. Boiling isn't a good idea. Air pockets inside the rock will expand and could cause it to violently crack.

You should be able to. Being that its a meteorite it could always contain some rare or unique metals. Someone here posted an interesting photo of some type of growth or corrosion on a rock inside their aquarium in a very recent thread? that looks odd, or like it could contaminate the tanks Ph balance. Hopefully whomever sold it to you knows what to buy and sell that is best for aquariums. Rocks that have a lot of texture can harbor critters but boiling should kill most of them.
Hmm, it's not a real meteorite:/ It's meteorite like. It looks like one. Meteorites cost way too much :/

Fishanatic said:
I'm not sure. I boiled it and let it cooled down. I think i can put it in my tank now :/
Any advice
(i got the rocks for 1$ per pound)

I would do as Mumma suggested above.

Well i just called the fish shop. I looks like it's safe to put in.
I doubt it would do anything to my water quality.

Back
Top Bottom