Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
I really recommend that you try going to one of your lfs. They are much better than big commercial stores like petsmart or Petco. If you would of shopped around a bit you probably could of found a much better deal than what you got a Petco. Also the people at lfs are much more knowlegable than people at the other places.

10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have added the cycle already, oops! As well added "Aqua Safe" a water conditioner

Any suggestions?? Should I go out and put in some ammonia til it risses to 5 ppm?? The what? Thanks Scott

Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

The cycle won't hurt. Aquasafe is perfect. After you add the ammonia, sit back and let the cycle begin! Your testing regimen will consist of monitoring the ammonia level until you get a nitrite spike and then for the nitrate spike.

Keep in mind it's a lengthy process...patience is what's needed at this point. You're on the right track.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #14

ok, will pick up the pure plain ammomia tomorrow, Thanks. Scott
Old 03-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

First you have to scrub and rinse all that will go into your aquarium. Tank itself, rinse the gravel very good, clean the decorations,...

Then you fill it with water and set it up the way you would do it for adding fish right away. Add dechlorinator (like stress coat). Test your pH.

Then, when you are done, all you have to worry about is to provide a steady source of ammonia either with pure ammonia, a raw shrimp or a piece of raw prawn (like I did), or with a few (!) hardy fish (not recommended).

In a few days start testing ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia will be the first to reach its peak and then come back down to 0 ppm. After nitrite has reached it's spike and is back down to 0 ppm, all you should have left is nitrate. Unless you have plants, the nitrate level should not be of concern, right everybody?

Then you take fuzzy little prawn out and slowly start with fish and you should be fine. (I personally add 4 Tbs of pickling salt (absolutely no additives or iodine in it!!!!!!!) which reduces stress and improves the slime coat on the fish.

Let me know, if you need advice on fishless with fuzzy. There are other members out there, that can give you excellent advice on doing it with pure ammonia.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

OOPs, that's what you get for not turning to the second page. Sorry. Apparently you want to go for pure ammonia. Good for you and hang in there on your ride.
Congrats for going fishless
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

One nice thing about fishless cycling is that you now have some time to plan out what kind of fish you would like to add. I would suggest looking around where you live and try to find at least 3-4 fish/aquarium stores, include both chain stores like Petco and Petsmart as well as any more specialized, "mom & pop" fish stores as well. In the Arlington/DC area there should be a boatload of places to choose from; you might even consider asking on these boards if anyone is from the DC area and could recommend a place or two.

Anyways, go to as many stores as you can, bring a small notebook and pen, and whatever fish you see that makes you think, "I gotta have one of those!" write it down. If possible, write down the scientific name as well as the common name they give, since often times one fish can go by more than one common name, or, occasionally multiple different species of fish will all get called by the same common name.

Then come home, fire up the internet, and research, research, research! Learn how large these various fish get at adult size; learn what temperatures they like, learn what they like to eat, learn how aggressive they are and what other fish they can (or cannot) get along with. That way, by the time you have your tank fully cycled and ready for fish, you will have a plan in place and know exactly what you want. Plus, if you've visited a bunch of stores, you will have a good sense of which ones take good care of their fish and which ones don't.

Keep us posted on your progress, and keep asking questions. That's what we're here for.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I read the posts and you are asking some great questions and getting some great answers. I think though that this may all seem like its too much too handle. I'll try to make some of the things easier on you.

1. Fish selection - put it firat cause you should know the fish you plan on keeping and research there needs. Easy to research -http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11504

2. Cycling - read this - http://aquariumadvice.com/showquesti...q=2&fldAuto=15

3. As mentioned a test kit is a MUST - Aq. Pharm master test kit works well. Just don't get the strip kind.

4. Always come and ask your questions here no matter what the lfs or lps tell you. Not that they don't know what they don't know what they are saying, but there are alot of them that just answer by what they are told to say. Don't rush into anything. If you see some fish you like, have them hold them for a day or two and come here and ask and check out some profile websites.

I hope this helps, I'm no science nut and couldn't explain alot of what is said in the article section but I understood it which is more important. You should read all the articles aswell as read the linked articles as they offer some different aspects. HTH

Oh and with regards to "cycle". It doesn't do anything. I too bought that with my first tank. Used as directed, bought fish, cycle started shortly after fish added. You really need something in the tank to start the bacteria off.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

just for an idea, my 10 g is in my sig. Yeah it's overstocked but I've got 15x filtration on it and do plenty of pwc. I like the dwarf gourami and the cory cats the most. the danios are longfins so they are kinda pretty but eh, they aren't very colorful. They are fast though, its fun to watch them chase each other. I see the pleco maybe 4 times a week lol.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #20

Hi welcome to A.A.
First rule about petco never buy fish from them.
Tetra are great for a ten gallon and nice fish, with many kinds to choose from, and algea u can get shrimp or if u want fish a small cat fish will work.

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com