Rough draft of a 50 gallon build. Opinions/thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mt430

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I had purchased a "50 gallon" tank over Kijiji, which after a measurement yesterday, proved to be less than half that volume. Shame on me for not measuring it before I purchased it!

Regardless, I plan to take advantage of a tent sale a LFS is having and have made up a rough draft of the components i'll be picking up. I also had question relating to a low maintenance planted tank, but i'll ask those after. Build will either be a 40 or 50 gallon tank, standard dimensions:

TANK:

Lighting: See planting section
Filter: Aquaclear 70 (or should I get the 110?)
Heater: I need to warm my room up about 9 degrees, so it needs to be at least 150W if i've researched correctly. I'll probably go for a submersible model
Thermometer: Would a stick-on mercury thermometer for aquariums be enough? I've seen little sticker-looking thermometers that some people put on the front of their tank, are they any better?
Substrate: I plan to go for some dark coloured gravel, smooth, no bigger that 3mm as I plan to stock Corys. See planting section as well
Water Conditioner: Something that will get rid of the chlorine and chlorides from my tap water. That should be enough right?
Vacuum: Everyone seems to recommend the Python, so i'll probably look into that

Then other accessories like nets, buckets (for aquarium use only!), an algae scrubber and some sort of air stone

FISH:

Haven't settled on exact quantities, but I have a rough idea of what I want to stock:

For my bottom feeders, maybe 6 or so Sterba's Cory. I like the patterned ones over the solid colour/shiny ones. I think they'll pop nicely on the dark substrate.

In terms of schooling fish, I wanted to pick a couple of species. Have yet to decide for sure, but i'm thinking either Harlequin Rasboras and a type of Tetra, or just two types of Tetra. I'm liking the Black Neon, Penguin, and Serpae Tetras, but am open to other options! I figure i'll do at least 7 of each species once I decide.

Because of the dark substrate, I think at least one Lace Gourami would look really nice in the tank. Would they co-operate if I got two? I know gender may determine if that'll work or not, should I go for a male/female, or two females?

And finally, if room permits it i'd like another showpiece species, something a bit larger with beautiful colours, but still a good community fish.

PLANTS:

Last section, I promise :)

I've decided that I at least want some live plants in my aquarium, but not interested in running a CO2 setup in my first tank. What could I setup that would survive without the added CO2? I was hoping for some taller background plants, as dell as some Java Moss and some Anubias. If I did 3/4 of my substrate with the nutrient enriched stuff, as well as added nutrients and maintaining proper lighting, could I pull off my desired setup without my real plants being affected by the absence of added CO2?

Apologies for the long winded post, but i plan to have it setup and cycling by the weekend, and any opinions from seasoned vets would be greatly appreciated!!!

do you have a test kit? I would pick y
up a API liquid master test kit if I were you. highly recomended.

themometer wise I have suction cup mercury one it works great. and I have a sticker one on another tank. both are good.

heater im using a aqueon pro 200. its well built. relable.
I dont know much about aquaclear beside that a lot off ppl here like them. I run a aqueons. fluval 406 and a 350 biowheel.
do you know about cycling??

do you have a test kit? I would pick y
up a API liquid master test kit if I were you. highly recomended.

themometer wise I have suction cup mercury one it works great. and I have a sticker one on another tank. both are good.

heater im using a aqueon pro 200. its well built. relable.
I dont know much about aquaclear beside that a lot off ppl here like them. I run a aqueons. fluval 406 and a 350 biowheel.
do you know about cycling??

Yes, I do have a test kit. A Tetra tech Laborett. I plan to switch to the API kit once i've used up the current kit. Thanks for the thoughts on the thermometer, i'm leaning to the stick on mercury at the moment. I'm aware it's better to have more filtering that your tank "needs", i'm just not sure if the 70 is enough or if I should go a little voerkill with the 110

Been reading about fishless cycling, I intend to follow the method that's so well described on the site

mt430 said:
Yes, I do have a test kit. A Tetra tech Laborett. I plan to switch to the API kit once i've used up the current kit. Thanks for the thoughts on the thermometer, i'm leaning to the stick on mercury at the moment. I'm aware it's better to have more filtering that your tank "needs", i'm just not sure if the 70 is enough or if I should go a little voerkill with the 110

Been reading about fishless cycling, I intend to follow the method that's so well described on the site

okay cool! personly I like mercury ones because they go higher in temp readings than the strips.
I know it the 110 might be a overkill I dont but theres no such thing as too much filtration. my 406 canister is rated for 100 gallons and I think the bio wheel 350 is rated up to 70 gallons. so I mean the 110 may be better for the bio load.

okay cool! personly I like mercury ones because they go higher in temp readings than the strips.
I know it the 110 might be a overkill I dont but theres no such thing as too much filtration. my 406 canister is rated for 100 gallons and I think the bio wheel 350 is rated up to 70 gallons. so I mean the 110 may be better for the bio load.

I figure more is better, so i'll at least go for the Aquaclear 70. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked out with the 110 though

Does anyone else have any comments?

you should test your tap water with your test kit for ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrate, so that you know what kind of conditioner is good you you

you should test your tap water with your test kit for ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrate, so that you know what kind of conditioner is good you you

I've already tested my water, will do again before I have the tank

I personally use prime because my tap has high ammonia but that's just me

That's the one i've had most people recommend, so i'll likely go with that one

Thinking of stocking my tank with some Sterbai's Cory, Congo Tetras and Pengiun Tetras. By the sounds of it, they'll all go together nicely

After the tetra grow a bit, i'll add an Angelfish as well

I'll let someone else chime in on that I've never kept terra co I don't know their comparability

Best of luck with your tank!

Thanks!

Anyone have any comments on the stock list?

I really like gold barbs. a school of them their pretty. there a peaceful barb. unlike other barbs that are agressive.

Back
Top Bottom