Safely change heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought a new tank heater. Is it safe to just swap or should I overlap them so the tank doesn't drop in temp to much?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Swap em, dont forget to let old heater cool off before removing it. Monitor the temp for a day or so. A lot of heaters arent very trustworthy on the settings sometimes.

Swap em, dont forget to let old heater cool off before removing it. Monitor the temp for a day or so. A lot of heaters arent very trustworthy on the settings sometimes.

The opening and closing sentences are truly contradictory and the only viable advice is to let the old one cool down before removing.

Add the new heater to be sure it works properly. Turns on and off. If it's set to the temp you want to maintain, they should both turn off around the same time. That's when you can disconnect the old one and allow to cool before removing it.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

The opening and closing sentences are truly contradictory and the only viable advice is to let the old one cool down before removing.

Add the new heater to be sure it works properly. Turns on and off. If it's set to the temp you want to maintain, they should both turn off around the same time. That's when you can disconnect the old one and allow to cool before removing it.

Depends on how you want to interpret it. I'd love to know how you did.

edit: I can only assume you think you know the mechanics of a heater. Since a heater will only run in short bursts as to not overheat. Taking the time to get them in sync would be an amazing feat. My advice still comes out to be the same end result minus a whole bunch of light watching.

Personally, I would set, swap, and monitor for the evening and following couple days... That said I don't have any real high $$ or sensitive fish.

On the other hand, you could fill a smaller tank with warm water, drop in the heater and get it adjusted over a couple days, then swap in the now-verified heater to your main tank.

unless it is a tiny tank just switch the and keep an eye on the new heater ,if the new heater does not go on and the water starts cooling off just put the old on back in , my heater rarely goes on my tanks in the warmest part of my house in cool weather

Heaters will behave differently based on wattage vs. Gallonage also wattage vs. Room temp swings. I'd personally set the new heater in the tank, slowly adjust until light comes on. I'd than turn the old one down so as not to assist the new one but buffer just in case the new one is set too low. Make sense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yeah I may just overlap, its pretty chilly here in CT and we're fairly cheap with the heat in the house. GF complains the fish have it warmer than she does. I tell her the fish dont own sweaters.

yeah I may just overlap, its pretty chilly here in CT and we're fairly cheap with the heat in the house. GF complains the fish have it warmer than she does. I tell her the fish dont own sweaters.

Haha tell her if she's jealous she can do some wc's and warm her arms up:D

Lmao !!! But I tend to disagree with chilly and choose downright cold !!! It was 21° with a "real feel" of 11° when I left at 6 am. Things are looking up for next Monday with a high of 59° and rain. Woo hoo !!!

We are excited for 30 degrees on Saturday! It was 8 degrees this morning. I'm considering changing heaters as well... Seems the one in the tank in my livingroom is struggling to keep up. And it's only November....?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, this cold weather is tough. It may fall down to 50f tonight.

Yeah, this cold weather is tough. It may fall down to 50f tonight.

Dalto... you're killing me, i was jumping for joy when the sun crept over the trees this morning and it hot 30! Called the post office and begged them to hold my 3 plant packages because they would have surely froze on my porch. .

Brookster, I lived most of my life in Mass so I know how it is but I don't miss it :)

Brookster, I lived most of my life in Mass so I know how it is but I don't miss it :)

Yeah... well.... bet you miss... ummmm.... the accents!! Wicked freakin cold guy..

I need to move down south CT stinks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked this one up

Amazon.com : ViaAqua 200-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies

I set what I thought was working by overlapping then slowly turned the new one up as I turned the old one down.
Anyone have this specific heater? Im noticing the built in thermometer is not working and for a 200 watt rated for a 50 gallon tank its having trouble keeping mine at 78+

My floating therm says its around 80 but the stick on right below the heater says 76. Since the built in one isnt working I can not be sure.
I still have the old one in there and put in for a replacement from Amazon.

I don't think this will be a big deal. I'd introduce the new heater, let it equilibrate with the water unplugged for 30 min, set it, plug it in and, as was stated previously, turn the old one down by maybe 5 degrees, just in case the new one is defective. Water has a super-high heat capacity and it's going to take some time for 50 gallons of water to significantly cool down. If the new heater works as it should, you should be able to remove the old one once it cools.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom