Saftey question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I keep my aquatic creatures from getting stuck to the intake tube strainer? I have lost at least 1 fish and 1 shrimp that way, maybe another shrimp. We'll have to see if the shrimp shows up unharmed. He would be my only one left.

I use sponges. You can buy them premade or you can make them yourself. I usually get a large aquaclear sponge filter insert and cut it to fit, it seems to be the cheapest method if you have to do multiple tanks.

I use plastic craft mesh to build a "cage" to fit around the intake. This keeps critters out away from the pull of the water enough so that they don't get stuck to the intake. Craft mesh comes in colors (I use the black). Or you can paint the mesh first with Krylon Fusion (just be sure to let it dry for at least three days).

I generally just make a tube about 3 inches across, and then cut out 2 circles to block both ends. Cut a few rows out of one circle so that your intake tube can slide tightly into the cage. Use fishing line to tie it all together but if you can find small black zip ties, they will be alot easier on your hands. If you use fishing line, be sure to put a dot of super glue on each knot, and then cut the line close to the knot so that the your fish wont get scraped or poked by protruding line.

Another really convenient way to do this is to find the plastic craft mesh in the shape of a 3-dimensional egg. Some of the bigger craft stores carry these (and they are more common around Easter for some reason:rolleyes:). Then all you have to do is snip a few rows out of the pointy end, and slide your intake tube in. If you make it a tight fit, it will stay all by itself. The eggs only come in white, but they are made to pop apart into two pieces so you can easily paint both the inside and the outside. Then tie the two halves together with fishing line or zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom