Salt water tank or fresh water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to have a 90 gallon tank with stand in a month or more and i just wanted your opinion. Should i make it a fresh water or salt water? I know salt water is more of a hassel. You need protein skimmers and what not but ive always wanted a salt water. More colorful fish and alot of cool looking fish. But i also like some fresh water fish and i just wanted your opinion. Fresh water or salt water? Im going to get a 50 gal for my fresh water fish that i have now by the way but if i choose to make it a fresh water tank than im going to just move them to the 90 gal. So whats your opinion. Salt or fresh?

Fresh. I love freshwater tanks. You could upgrade your current fresh water to the big tank. And if you like colours. Get a reef background and artificial coral! Add some bright fish and there you go. A fresh water reef!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fresh. I love freshwater tanks. You could upgrade your current fresh water to the big tank. And if you like colours. Get a reef background and artificial coral! Add some bright fish and there you go. A fresh water reef!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i do make it a fresh water i want to make it as natural as possible. Real plants (etc) is there any colorful fresh water plants?

Honestly. I'm for sure not an expert. I know I've seen aquarium plants that have green heart shaped leaves And red centres. That's about it. There are plants with white and blue to. I'm really not sure though. I was worried about plants so I got all artificial. My fish don't seem to care. I like it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388385007.171809.jpg

It does look like my tank lol but thank you ill look more into it

Freshwater is boring lol. I have both and will probably never own another fw tank. Salt is the way to go, coral is awesome and sw fish are so much better IMO. Here's my little reefImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388415642.997908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388415657.598034.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388415711.196077.jpg

For me it's all about the money. I wouldn't be able to afford a saltwater setup, let alone the fish so I'd be all about fresh lol.

A heavily planted fw tank. If done right, looks as good as a sw reef tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love both fresh and salt water. Salt water fish are beautiful but, how deep is your pocket?
I have had many salt water tanks in my life but will not do it any longer, one the cost and two I feel with salt water fish no matter how much we take care of the tank, the environment that we provide for them in a tank will never be remotely close to theirs.
There are many beautiful fresh water fish, some of the ones I keep that I like the most are.... African cichlids, Angel fish and Discus.

There are many FW plants that are non-green and add a ton of bright color. My 220g is mostly such plants. But those types of plants mostly need high light, CO2, and dry ferts. I've kept both FW and SW reefs for over 30 years and both can be colorful and rewarding but it all boils down to how much time and money you want to invest.

Thanks for everyones opinions. Im thinking of making the 90 gal a freshwater tank with alot of live plants and later ill get a salt water bio cube from craigslist as its way cheaper than buying it from a pet store lol

Back
Top Bottom