Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
So, who has actually bought Pool Filter Sand at Home Depot or Lowes? I have seen Play Sand but never PFS. PFS here from a Pool store is about $10 for 20 lbs.
I got it for $5.99 at my local home depot, it was right next to the play sand along with stones and pavers.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now I am going to have to go back and check. I just bought 200 lbs of playsand for my 115G cichlid tank, but I really want PFS. Hopefully if they have it I can take back the Playsand and get the PFS.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #13
is back to save the day!

WHAT!? 10$ ?? for only 20lbs? Thats bad lol. i got 100lbs for 15$.. so like thats 7.50 for 50lbs... I've never seen PFS at lowes/home depot either.. i went to both stores before i found out my teacher owned a pool maintenance company. Maybe select home depots have them? Idk.. from my experiance they didnt have any of it. :/
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Now I am going to have to go back and check. I just bought 200 lbs of playsand for my 115G cichlid tank, but I really want PFS. Hopefully if they have it I can take back the Playsand and get the PFS.
I would definitely suggest trying to make the switch the PFS looks way better and is much cleaner than the play sand.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here in Vegas pool supplies are much more expensive. Many, many more pools=supply and demand.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Here in Vegas pool supplies are much more expensive. Many, many more pools=supply and demand.
I would still give home depot and/or lowes a chance maybe they don't gouge as bad as the LPS.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Whoops page reload re post.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go sand. I just switched and the fish and I both love it! I picked up 50lb of play sand at Home Depot for a little more than $3 and it makes about a 4" deep bed in my 29g. My amazon swords seem to be doing fine in the sand and the other, newer plants do ok when my catfish leaves the plants rooted for more than one night. I was surprised at how fast the sand started to go anaerobic though. I started getting black patches in the sand within two weeks, but they cleared up when stirred.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i got play sand and live sand in my 55gal tank. i put it in 2 days ago and it is still very cloudy what should i do?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
Thanx but no.....

Wait for it to settle, or hang an extra filter on there to try and filter out the particulates. Did you rinse heavily first?

Is your tank saltwater? To my knowledge, bagged live sand is only saltwater (and IMO worthless). Going on the far fetched notion that it is actually bacteria populated, fresh and salt water bacteria strains are different. So even if it was 'live', is your tank is fresh then it's dead now.

Tags
sand, sand substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com