Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be a silly question...

I have heard one or two people using pool filter sand in their tanks. This isn't easily available in my area. Is kiln dried sand the same thing?

Hi! I asked a question about sand the other day-alot of sand is a calcium carbonate type of mix (which will raise your ph), you want to find a 'silica' based sand (pool filter sand). I found some online ($12 for 50lb bag-not sure of shipping) but i then found a pool & spa place that had 50lb bags for $11.99. You probably can also try a hardware-type store & check the ingredients listed on the bags of sand. Dont know if this helps but def check out whats available online!

Thanks, I'll keep searching. There's not much need for pool filter sand in the uk, since it's always too **** cold for a pool ! :S

Look for #20 grit blasting sand (usually silica) which is basically the same thing. That you should be able to find.

I've found 2 large bags of kiln dried sand in my garage left over from when I had drive way block paved....bonus!

I will take a look at it and see if it any good. As it compacts down, would the advice be to keep it quite shallow and rake it often? Also, how do live plants get on in sand?

I suppose at an inch deep it won't work out a great deal more expensive.

The cheap stuff is looking like false economy. It's not like you replace it every week is it!

Ended up getting it from the lfs. Not the black stuff though, just regular, erm, sandy coloured stuff. Looks nice, just waiting for tank to clear now. I rinsed for ages as well.

Back
Top Bottom