Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndI3kAY

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, just got some sand today for my new 30 gallon. Many people on here recommended pool filter sand, i got a 50 lb bag for about 10 dollars, great deal! But the salesman said the sand was 20 grit? The grains look pretty large to me, will this kind be ok or should i return it?

Ok, just got some sand today for my new 30 gallon. Many people on here recommended pool filter sand, i got a 50 lb bag for about 10 dollars, great deal! But the salesman said the sand was 20 grit? The grains look pretty large to me, will this kind be ok or should i return it?

Your fine. 20 grit is the size of the particle. 1mm I believe. That's just about right.

I have a 29 gallon that I just set up with pool filter sand. Be sure to rinse it really well. I put it in a pillow case and ran water through it but that didn't get it very clean. The water was still a mess the next day. I ended up draining the tank and putting the sand in a bucket and rinsing it that way. It took a lot of stirring and digging around in it to get it clean. The water didn't get dirty looking a bit the second time around. Sand looks so much better than the gravel.

As already stated rinse it very very well. All I had when I did my 55g in sand was a 2 gallon bucket. It took me a while, but I did maybe 10 cupfuls (I used a solo cup) at a time. I rinsed each bucket of sand 10 times. My water was cloudy after filling the tank up, but it did clear completely in a few hours. So given my experience I would rinse more than 10 times per bucket.

When I was changing from gravel to sand in my first tank I got a bit lazy and gave the sand a quick rinse and just dumped it in... And what a nightmare! I left it for around a week doing 50% water changes every day and the water was still like mud by the end, so I had to strip everything out and start again in the end. Needless to say I learnt my lesson and spent a bit more effort cleaning the sand the second time! I'm not sure how long I rinsed it for, I used a dish bowl (only used for fish stuff so no soap or chemicals in it) then filled it with water, stirred up the sand then emptied off the water and I did this until the water ran off clear for a few times. It may seem like a nuisance at the time but I wish I just did I properly the first time lol.

I think that grain size should be ok, might even make cleaning a bit easier as its a but heavier so you'll lose less of it when your vacuuming the surface :)

It took me a good hour or so to get all the 50lb cleaned but well worth the price and the look I wanted. I made sure I got everything out and the water was clear. I took a few big scoops and in the tank they went... water is clear. I havent put it all in but happy at what I see so far.

It took me a good hour or so to get all the 50lb cleaned but well worth the price and the look I wanted. I made sure I got everything out and the water was clear. I took a few big scoops and in the tank they went... water is clear. I havent put it all in but happy at what I see so far.

Just curious how big of a tank you have? I only used half the bag to get about an inch in a 55g.

I have a 50g tank. I washed all the sand at once & dont plan on using all of it but knowing it cleaned im good. I'm started so only a few scoops went inside till I get my hands on some holey rocks.

Back
Top Bottom