Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i think I'm going to breed angelfish and I had read that the fry can get stuck in the gravel but i don't want a bare bottom tank so I was wondering if I could switch to sand? Also how expensive is sand for a 29 gallon tank? Thanks in advance ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So i think I'm going to breed angelfish and I had read that the fry can get stuck in the gravel but i don't want a bare bottom tank so I was wondering if I could switch to sand? Also how expensive is sand for a 29 gallon tank? Thanks in advance ?

You could switch to sand but as with any breeding/raising situation, bb is recommended for a multitude of reasons. Cost will be dictated by the depth you wish to obtain.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

So bb doesn't live in sand? I will have a sponge filter will that help with the bb?

You could switch to sand but as with any breeding/raising situation, bb is recommended for a multitude of reasons. Cost will be dictated by the depth you wish to obtain.

I think bb in this case is bare bottom. As to your question I am not sure,but I would think you would be fine with sand you will want to have some plants line or fake for the fry to hide in.

Yeah I'll have two good plants one is live and one is fake and it'll be about a moth till I have eggs as I haven't even gotten a second angel.

I think bb in this case is bare bottom. As to your question I am not sure,but I would think you would be fine with sand you will want to have some plants line or fake for the fry to hide in.

Yes, bb as in bare bottom.

So bb doesn't live in sand? I will have a sponge filter will that help with the bb?

While it's a well debated topic, IMO there isn't enough beneficial bacteria (the other bb) living on the sand bed (or any substrate) as compared to what's on/in the filter (or the glass walls) for discussion purposes. Another often practiced technique is to paint 3 exterior walls and the bottom so they are not spooked or frightened by reflection. Also, I would choose a sponge filter over HOB or canister (and bare bottom) just for simplicity purposes. High vs long tanks as well. There's 2 threads here, "Wigglers" and "Wigglers 2" that have a boat load of info. I would also suggest reading those and a Google search of "breeding freshwater angelfish".

Back
Top Bottom