Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nichole01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long does it take the cloudiness to settle after switching from rock to sand .

Depends on how well you rinsed it before putting it in really

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't rinse my sand as well as I should have (being pool filter sand and all). It was cloudy for a couple of days, I ended up doing a 80% water change and then it cleared up well enough. Now I don't have any issues putting in water or changing it out now. :) If it doesn't clear up after 36 hours, I'd do a water change.

How long does it take the cloudiness to settle after switching from rock to sand .

By rock do you mean gravel? If so when switching from gravel to sand as a substrate it can take up to 24 hours for the sand to settle! However if it is still cloudy after 24 hours a partial water change should help!:) Also worth mentioning that until the sand has settled I wouldn't turn on your filter as it can really mess up the impeller..
Hope this helps!

By rock do you mean gravel? If so when switching from gravel to sand as a substrate it can take up to 24 hours for the sand to settle! However if it is still cloudy after 24 hours a partial water change should help!:) Also worth mentioning that until the sand has settled I wouldn't turn on your filter as it can really mess up the impeller..

Hope this helps!

Yes I meant gravel . It's already looking better. I did a 50% water change right after .

Yes I meant gravel . It's already looking better. I did a 50% water change right after .

Oh good! I'm glad that helped, I'm planning on switching my gravel to sand soon but not sure how to do this as it currently has fish in!:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom