Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazypetpeople

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am planning a planted brackish tank. Is there a certain way to get the plants to anchor in the sand or a certain sand I should use?

Planting tongs are great. If you don't have them, you can use regular tweezers if you have them on hand. Hold the plant as far down as you can, stick the tongs deep into the sand and twist just a bit. Release and the remove the tongs.

If your plants have rhizomes, don't do that. Attach them to something else, like stones or driftwood using monofilament, synthetic thread (like polyester), or super glue.

Use a flexible plastic bottle cap and cut a cross in the bottom of it (like the top of a soft drink cup), and feed the roots of the plants through the inside of the bottle cap. Push the bottle cap into the sand so that it is full submerged. This will keep your plant in the sand.

Use a flexible plastic bottle cap and cut a cross in the bottom of it (like the top of a soft drink cup), and feed the roots of the plants through the inside of the bottle cap. Push the bottle cap into the sand so that it is full submerged. This will keep your plant in the sand.
What is the best method for cutting the cross? A switch knife?

I bought some rubberized mesh at Joanne fabric for my bearded dragons hammock. I think if I cut small sections of that with a center incision it would work well. You can probably get it at any fabric or hobby shop

Back
Top Bottom