Sand and cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jevousdeteste

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to go to HD soon to pick up some playsand. I was wondering what type of sand I should have for my 38g. I've read numerous other threads on the topic, but I get conflicting opinions on which substrate is best for cories. When my tank is finished cycling, I'd like to get a school of bronze cories, and I'd like to know which type of sand is best for them. Some people say pool filter sand, other say normal, white playsand is ideal. I don't want to choose a sand that will make them unhappy. Any advice or suggestions?

I'd go with pool filter because it doesn't have sharp edges. It is rounded. I'm not too sure how sharp the play sand is though. We only have pool filter.

I have black sand that I bought at the lfs, and the cories don't seem to have any problems sifting it, all their barbells are intact. But one of them has gotten a grain of sand in his "nostril" a few times. It comes out after a few days, but I think if the grains were more rounded it wouldn't be a problem.

I would go with the pool filter sand. I use it in 3 of my tanks and I really like it. Also, I've heard people say that playsand has a tendency to get sucked up in the filter, but this has never happened with my PFS. :D

I would also have to say that pool filter sand is better. they are larger granules, and work alot better in an aquarium. I mixed some black sand from my lfs with the white filter sand, and I really like the outcome. as far as the cory's go, any sand will be just fine for them. they have never showed a dislike for any substrate. but sand is definitely better for them.

go to your lfs and buy aquarium sand!! we have it here (UK) do you not have it in the uk? It is specially for aquariums.

Of course we have aquarium sand here. I personally decided against it because it is much more expensive than PFS and either way, the outcome is the same- you have sand in your tank. I wasn't sure if I would like the light color of the sand but it looks great against a black background. :D

oh lol, i was gonna say..... I have aquarium sand in my tank look

Attachments

• sand_pic.jpg
    sand_pic.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 76
I recommended pool filter sand because of the cost. When we first sanded our 55 gal tank, it was $4.50 for a 5 lb bag of sand from the lfs. When we sanded the 150, it was $15 for a 50 lb bag of sand from the pool supply store. Plus, the sand from the lfs is lighter and smaller. It tends to cloud the tank longer and will free float more than the heavier pool filter sand. That's just an observation from having both types of sand. I also mixed black Este's and pool filter sand together. It helps camoflage the fish waste. I have pics in my gallery of what it looks like.

Pool filter sand is good, but so is sandblasting or play sand....unless the sand is really sharp and nasty, cleanliness actually counts for more than sand-type when it comes to barbel health.

Back
Top Bottom