Sand and filter question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tom05r123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a Juwel Rio 180. Would switching from gavel to sand effect the filter in any way?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the same filter I think it's the 3.0 bio flow? I changed from gravel too sand without any issues,unplug the filter during changing over, just make sure the sand has settled before turning the filter back on.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

It is indeed. Awesome, thanks for your reply!

Any suggestions on a suitable sand? I'm looking for a very light colour...

Many thanks

I have silica sand in my elephant nose tank it's a light color, I prefer this to my sand in my shrimp tank which just came under aquarium sand it's darker in color. So if it was me I'd definitely look into silica much nicer to look at. Have fun changing over! I still remember when I did mine ?

Hi Shelley, thanks for your reply! I have been thinking of dried kiln sand. If cleaned repeatedly would this be safe?

Many thanks

Hi Shelley, thanks for your reply! I have been thinking of dried kiln sand. If cleaned repeatedly would this be safe?

Many thanks

I would say no, but that's my opinion someone else might say different. I would go with silica sand I've bought other stuff and wasn't impressed. Silica is safe and I found easy to clean.

i used pool filter sand in my and switching over was cake

Sent from my LGLS620 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have an HOB filter you can add a sponge prefilter over the intake.

If your intake is close to substrate you can shorten it if needed.

I love my sand tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. After doing some research I have purchased some kiln sand and plan to begin a week long process of cleaning it tonight.

I have a Juwel internal filter and have recently learned that it was upgraded to a Bio 400 from the stock 300.

My next question is onto plants.

I plan on using the Amazon sword as a background plant and the ophiopogon japonicus as a foreground plant. Will these be ok planted into sand substrate? Also could anyone recommend some "plant food" to help them along there way?

Thanks in advance!

Ophiopogon japonicus ( Mondo Grass) is not a true aquatic. It will die off.

With Amazon Swords you'll want DIY Root Caps. For stems you'll want water column Ferts.

Dry Ferts are cheaper long term. You can buy sets from hobbyists for good prices.

Ludwigia reopens
Dwarf Chain Sword
Java Ferns
Anubias
Crypts....lots of Crypts
I like C wendtii
C balansae
Etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the swords sorted then! Just need to find myself a foreground plant now.

I'm going for a "sea bed" look so will do some research on your suggestions when home from work.

If anyone has any suggestions atall on getting this natural look please throw them out there ??

Thanks for the reply!

Perfect suggestion, some dwarf saf is a must!

Would these also be best fed with root caps?

I think I will go down the root cap route then, time to do some research on producing and installing me thinks!

I just want them to be/look healthy. planning to do all this next weekend so I have a over a week to prepare ??

Thanks for your input so far everyone.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446654397.324283.jpg if anyone is interested this is my tank at the moment, I will post a picture once I have swapped to sand etc ??

View attachment 280133 if anyone is interested this is my tank at the moment, I will post a picture once I have swapped to sand etc ??

Really nice looking tank! Can't wait to see when you change it ☺

I went to a hard ware store and bought play sand. 50 lbs for like 3 bucks. I cleaned it really good. Never had a problem with anything. Only thing I suggest is if you have a HOB filter put a sponge around the syphon so that you don't get sand sucked into your filter.

I have a Juwel bio 400 (upgraded from 300) thanks for the advice, will bear that in mind!

Ok, so the time for my Rescape is almost here (this Saturday).

I have the sand, washed once will wash again tomorrow.

I have lights, air stone, tubes, suction pads, all rocks purchased and a big lump of slate to split to for a tunnel.

The only thing I need is some dry fert to make some root tabs with!

Could anyone suggest good brand? I have purchased the capsules just need something to stick in them!

Thanks in advance

Tom

Back
Top Bottom