sand & live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crittergal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gal f/w tank and I decided to go w/ pool sand as my substate and now I am wondering what kind of live plants I should get for a beginner that will maybe root in the sand and reproduce (?) maybe thats not the right word for plants and how many plants do I need to get for a 55gal. I would like it semi heavy planted not messy plants and low light Is that asking too much??? I live in northern Mn so was also wondering if there is anyone here or nearby that would have plants and what do you suggest of the different kinds I should start with thank you

I would worry more about your light before substrate, my 10g has 3 watts / gal and sand, hornwort and java ferns are growing like crazy, also java moss can prob grow

I would worry more about your light before substrate, my 10g has 3 watts / gal and sand, hornwort and java ferns are growing like crazy, also java moss can prob grow

agreed. depends on the lighting you have. for what plants will grow and flourish

Yes, sand is great for plants. Light will determine what you can grow. Once you get into high or medium light, or if you have heavy feeders, you will need to add fertilizer, since sand has no nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom