Sand or Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earwig999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 30l tank 2 weeks ago with gravel (approx 8mm) stones. Have a small Fluval filter running and introduced 4 Danios to it to help the cycle. Previously when we had fish we never did any of this cycling so it's new to me and not sure if it is always necessary?

Anyway I added a couple of Red Cherry Shrimp, 1 male and 1 female and a moss ball and they seemed quite happy, but today the female died. Perhaps I added them too early. I changed the water and found a lot of waste under the gravel, could this be contributing to the problem?

I am picking up a 50L tank on Thursday, but want to set it up correctly before I transfer the fish. Would sand be better and stop the waste from sinking where it is not visible.?

Sand is definitely a better choice. It is much more natural and a lot cleaner. I only use and recommend Estes Stoney River (also known as Estes Marine Sand and Estes Ultra Reef). It comes with many color options, is VERY uniform in size, and is the perfect grain size. I usually use either solid black or black and white mixed together, this gives a dark enough background to keep the fish brightly colored.

I was unable to locate any of the Estes Stoney River sand around me so had to go with play sand. I have put in about 2" worth but it is really cloudy. 12 hours since doing it and I can still see a haze swirling around. I have the filter directed to the corner of the tank so as not to agitate the substrate.

I also have an air pump running with a 12" bubble stone to create an air curtain at the back, so not sure it the haze is from the tiny air bubbles or the sand.

Back
Top Bottom