sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
There is a thread called "Jill's 55g build on a budget" and she used black sand blasting sand. You may want to look it up. She posted a picture of her tank with some DW she just put in it. The black sand looks really nice.

Sand, hands down. I've used PFS, playsand and store bought sands. I prefer playsand to PFS. I prefer both PFS and playsand to store bought brands.

The PFS around my neck of the woods is large grain, almost like a grain of rice cut in half. I liked smaller grained sand so the bottom dwellers can dig through it easier. It doesn't take long for it too settle either.

I got a bunch of geos in my tank which are notorious sand movers and they spit mouthfuls of sand all day long and don't have any issues with it getting into my filter.

As far as maintaining sand vs gravel. Sand is 100x easier to clean. Just swirl the gravel vacuum above the sand and all the gunk floats right up. When I ran gravel I would have to push the vac down into every last inch of the substrate to get it clean. The sand prevents detritus from getting trapped beneath the surface.

The one I think would work are the lite foam like ones you can suction cup onto the back for a wall of bubbles, I bought one for my larger tank and no problem because I attached it above the sand a couple inches. Different sand too, the Petco kind. It was too wide to fit into my more narrow main tank but I think I will buy the smaller one and do the same thing, it will mostly be covered by rocks and plants...

My main tank has the heavy stone bar and it sinks into the sand...duh!

And remember to make sure your air pump can pump enough to get the "wall" of bubbles if that is the effect you would like, less pumping gets less bubbles which isn't bad, just different.

I am glad you asked that question, I just kinda forgot about that, you reminded me, thanks for the memory jog. Thinking about so many other things too.....

yah i want like a wall bubble i just don't know how to make it or get one. i need one with the suction cups like you were just talking about.
and no problem you seem to know a lot about the hobby unlike me I'm starting out like don't even know anything at all until now haha

If you have some gravel laying around just cover it with gravel. I did it in my 50. Sand and some gravel can look really nice. It turned out nice in mine.

you want the gravel on top of the sand? cause I'm thinking if I'm cleaning most likely ill be stirring up the sand so it won't get toxic

Paulcm10 said:
you want the gravel on top of the sand? cause I'm thinking if I'm cleaning most likely ill be stirring up the sand so it won't get toxic

image-3857725473.jpg

Forgot this one. The gravel is only visible in spots and around the rocks to hold them better.

I wasn't trying to siphon the sand. I was siphoning just above it to get debris off the top of it and I accidentally dipped it too far down. Fish waste and food settles on top of it. I have a 55 gallon tank. It's about 20-22 inches in height. I have a big filter- rated for up to 90 gallons and it cycles 400 gph. I have not seen it kick up any sand. So, last night I did a pwc and started pouring the water in too fast. It stirred up a little sand but the sand sank right back down and didn't linger in the water column. You get PFS from a swimming pool and spa store. I believe it only comes in a light color.

I THINK you can use sand blasting sand and that you can get that in black. However I have absolutely no experience with it.

I have no advice on the fish and shrimp. Ghost shrimp don't kick up sand. That's about all I know. :)

ohhh okay. how long does it take you to clean up a tank?
and how often do you siphon to get the debris off the sand?
also would you suggest turning off the power filter when cleaning the tank?

I wasn't trying to siphon the sand. I was siphoning just above it to get debris off the top of it and I accidentally dipped it too far down. Fish waste and food settles on top of it. I have a 55 gallon tank. It's about 20-22 inches in height. I have a big filter- rated for up to 90 gallons and it cycles 400 gph. I have not seen it kick up any sand. So, last night I did a pwc and started pouring the water in too fast. It stirred up a little sand but the sand sank right back down and didn't linger in the water column. You get PFS from a swimming pool and spa store. I believe it only comes in a light color.

I THINK you can use sand blasting sand and that you can get that in black. However I have absolutely no experience with it.

I have no advice on the fish and shrimp. Ghost shrimp don't kick up sand. That's about all I know. :)

oh also whats sand blasting sand? where can i get one of those?

Sand, hands down. I've used PFS, playsand and store bought sands. I prefer playsand to PFS. I prefer both PFS and playsand to store bought brands.

The PFS around my neck of the woods is large grain, almost like a grain of rice cut in half. I liked smaller grained sand so the bottom dwellers can dig through it easier. It doesn't take long for it too settle either.

I got a bunch of geos in my tank which are notorious sand movers and they spit mouthfuls of sand all day long and don't have any issues with it getting into my filter.

As far as maintaining sand vs gravel. Sand is 100x easier to clean. Just swirl the gravel vacuum above the sand and all the gunk floats right up. When I ran gravel I would have to push the vac down into every last inch of the substrate to get it clean. The sand prevents detritus from getting trapped beneath the surface.

can malaysia trumpet snails dig in pool filter sand? since it is a larger sand?
and what are geos? (sorry new to the hobby no experience at all haha)

also speaking of maintaining how often do you get the debris off the top of the sand?

You should have all filters and heaters off while you have your hands in the tank, including during syphoning. You need to keep your equipment and yourself!!

oh okay thanks!
also do pool filter sand or play sand increase ph or anything?

It probably took an hour to clean and refill my tank (55 gallons- I only removed 15 gallons.) It's not hard to vacuum with a siphon. That part actually only took 5-10 minutes. The long part was draining out the 15 gallons I needed to remove for my pwc and then refilling it. To clean the sand you just swirl the siphon just above the sand on you'll be able to see debris getting sucked up the siphon.

I imagine MTS won't have a problem in the pfs at all. I'm planning on getting some.

It probably took an hour to clean and refill my tank (55 gallons- I only removed 15 gallons.) It's not hard to vacuum with a siphon. That part actually only took 5-10 minutes. The long part was draining out the 15 gallons I needed to remove for my pwc and then refilling it. To clean the sand you just swirl the siphon just above the sand on you'll be able to see debris getting sucked up the siphon.

I imagine MTS won't have a problem in the pfs at all. I'm planning on getting some.

oh okay so with a 20gallon it will not even take me an hour to clean I'm guessing?

Paulcm10 said:
oh okay so with a 20gallon it will not even take me an hour to clean I'm guessing?

Probably not. 25% is about 5 gallons so if you have a 5 gallon bucket it will be simple unless you let your tank get really bad. I had to make 3 trips to the front door to dump my tank water and about 5 trips from the bathtub to refill my tank using a 5 gallon bucket. I only filled it about 2/3's full because lifting it up to pour it was too heavy if I filled it all the way. I bet a 20 gallon would only take 15 or 20 minutes total time.

Anyone here used black blasting sand? I am interested in learning more, I wold want black probably but isn't silica sand for blasting and isn't sharp???
I will check out Jill's 55 gal too.

Back
Top Bottom