sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Autumnsky said:
Anyone here used black blasting sand? I am interested in learning more, I wold want black probably but isn't silica sand for blasting and isn't sharp???
I will check out Jill's 55 gal too.

I believe my PFS is a silica sand and it doesn't seem sharp at all.

Probably not. 25% is about 5 gallons so if you have a 5 gallon bucket it will be simple unless you let your tank get really bad. I had to make 3 trips to the front door to dump my tank water and about 5 trips from the bathtub to refill my tank using a 5 gallon bucket. I only filled it about 2/3's full because lifting it up to pour it was too heavy if I filled it all the way. I bet a 20 gallon would only take 15 or 20 minutes total time.

oh ok that sounds good. since we are talking about maintenance do you put the conditioner before you put the tap water or after?

Took me half hour to wash enough sand for my 70g (40kg I think I ended up using) and overnight to settle/clear after I added it. PFS doesn't change pH, play sand can.

I don't know much about PH but i heard its bad if its too high.. i just don't know what is "too high" and how much sand do i need to put in a 20g?

Paulcm10 said:
I don't know much about PH but i heard its bad if its too high.. i just don't know what is "too high" and how much sand do i need to put in a 20g?

Too high is something like 9. If its stable it's fine. Is it a 20g long or high tank? I used 22 pounds in my 10g (same foot print as 20g H) and got 2 inches.

Paulcm10 said:
oh ok that sounds good. since we are talking about maintenance do you put the conditioner before you put the tap water or after?

I suggest you dechlorinate and condition your water before you add it to your tank. That would be the safest way.

I ran across this substrate calculator at one point... someone mentioned it in a thread somewhere, just can't remember where. It should help you work out how much you need.

I'd love to hear more about the blasting sand too. My husband was worried about it being sharp (I want sand for cories, so they will likely dig about in it a bit) and he was wondering if the colour would leech out. I'm after black. Someone else suggested Tahitian Moon Sand, but I haven't located any yet.

Blasting sand is good stuff. I don't feel that it is any more abrasive then regular sand. I mean, shoot any sand out of a sand blaster, whether it be perfectly round or pointy, it is going to strip the flesh off of you. I can tell you that, when washing, PFS did more damage to my hands then the blasting sand did, and that was still about zero. Also, blasting sand is dirty, very dirty, wash it well and then wash it again. It looks great too, very black and has a sparkle to it. It has been proven for years that blasting sand doesn't hurt fish, do a search on Google if you need reassurance. In all the research I did before going with blasting sand never did I find anything on it losing or leaching out it's color.

Oh, I have a Black Ghost Knife Fish in with blasting sand. No problems at all and he is always digging around.

blert said:
Blasting sand is good stuff. I don't feel that it is any more abrasive then regular sand. I mean, shoot any sand out of a sand blaster, whether it be perfectly round or pointy, it is going to strip the flesh off of you. I can tell you that, when washing, PFS did more damage to my hands then the blasting sand did, and that was still about zero. Also, blasting sand is dirty, very dirty, wash it well and then wash it again. It looks great too, very black and has a sparkle to it. It has been proven for years that blasting sand doesn't hurt fish, do a search on Google if you need reassurance. In all the research I did before going with blasting sand never did I find anything on it losing or leaching out it's color.

Oh, I have a Black Ghost Knife Fish in with blasting sand. No problems at all and he is always digging around.

I watch American restoration and they sometimes use crushed walnuts for sand blasting, so yeah, the sand doesn't have to be sharp or very abrasive to make it blast rust off of anything.

I ran across this substrate calculator at one point... someone mentioned it in a thread somewhere, just can't remember where. It should help you work out how much you need.

I'd love to hear more about the blasting sand too. My husband was worried about it being sharp (I want sand for cories, so they will likely dig about in it a bit) and he was wondering if the colour would leech out. I'm after black. Someone else suggested Tahitian Moon Sand, but I haven't located any yet.

oh thanks! and yah I'm kinda leaning towards pool filter sand..
unless blasting sand is very similar to pool filter sand

oh what color does blasting sand comes in besides black?
and I'm guessing PFS did damage to your hands because the grains are bigger?

Silica Sand - Big *CAUTION*

Hey, BTW, silica sand DUST is dangerous if its inhaled/ gets into your lungs. Can cause lung inflammation/difficulty breathing, lead to Silicosis (probably from a lot of exposures, though.)

Use use caution when being around the dust, maybe use a mask?!

Take care my friends, we usually take breathing for granted. Be safe. (y)

Hey, BTW, silica sand DUST is dangerous if its inhaled/ gets into your lungs. Can cause lung inflammation/difficulty breathing, lead to Silicosis (probably from a lot of exposures, though.)

Use use caution when being around the dust, maybe use a mask?!

Take care my friends, we usually take breathing for granted. Be safe. (y)

silica sand dust?
would that be pool filter sand? or something else?

I think most sand, like child's play sand and pool filter sand as well as some sand blasting sand, the light colored one has silica also, it is even in beach sand, it is what they make glass with.

I can't say about the black diamond type sand, someone said it was a byproduct from coal, I thought it was actually sand, personally haven't had a chance to get any additional info...I would just check on what it is. Coal by product dust probably isn't good for you either, just wear the little hospital mask or shop mask and wash yourself and clothes to get the dust off. Even the crystal and pearl cat litter is made from it (silica gel). It is from natural sources.

Autumnsky said:
The other forum thread has added some important information which should help
clear things up, thanks to AA member Sake.

Your assistance is appreciated. :thanks:

Please read, and he has a link specific to the black blasting sand.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/invert-chat-3-spineless-critters-200778-35.html#post1895781

Apparently, I over reacted somewhat.

That's re assuring! I remeber not wearing a mask while rinsing some sand a while ago, and I got somewhat scared.

Hey, it's better to be safe then sorry!:)

I've got blasting sand in four out of five tanks... I've never had any problems with it. I like the look and the texture

ForumRunner_20120412_072007.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_072037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom